Transfer money to thai bank account

hi my name is dennis from scotland i am looking to move to pattaya in the future,my question is what is the easiest way to transfer funds from uk bank to thai bank ( for example the £18000 needed for retirement visa)

thanks
Dennis

Hi
Check out Transfer Wise - great rates and quick easy and safe. Better than bank rates 👍

ive joined western union , is it easy enough to transfer a large amount ?

another thing is can i transfer the money when im in thailand from my uk account to thai account?
thanks for your help

thanks

Easy on TransferWise

thanks ive just registered and checked out the costs.
thanks again for your help.

Hello

I just did a side-by-side comparison of Western Union vs Transfer Wise.

Per $1000 USD Wise was about 160B cheaper but the savings was time.

Wise will transfer in about 2 hours or less vs WU can take 5 days.

So it isn't the money so much but the time savings

Hello
-@scbrock

Most people transfer much more than just $1000 and they do it every month. So, it means a lot of money saved in for example 5 years (or more) when using Wise. When transferring large sums,the fee gets lower, it's not linear.Transfers are often much faster than 2 hours when using Wise. My last transfer from my so called Balance account took 6 sec,but who needs money that fast? The transfer fee depends on which transfer option you go for. A faster transfer,a higher fee.

Hello
-@scbrock
Most people transfer much more than just $1000 and they do it every month. So, it means a lot of money saved in for example 5 years (or more) when using Wise. When transferring large sums,the fee gets lower, it's not linear.Transfers are often much faster than 2 hours when using Wise. My last transfer from my so called Balance account took 6 sec,but who needs money that fast? The transfer fee depends on which transfer option you go for. A faster transfer,a higher fee.
-@Leeds forever!

I liked Wise and will be using it again.

That was the main thing about WU I didn't

like was waiting several days.

And there certainly is some money to be saved

with Wise. The transfer took about 2 1/2 hours

but it may have been a little slower due to the

first time using the app

How did you guys open a Thai bank account from UK?  Is it not one of the requriements is residence in Thai by providing them a Thai address with proof of residency like rent contract and electric bill to your name?

@Bigrad Wolf Considering the attitude of banks here in Thailand it looks to be impossible to open from UK.

To open a Thai basic savings account you should come to Thailand first and bring your Passport and a photocopy of passport with "Statement to be conform the original passport" made by your Embassy in Bangkok.

This was the recent requirement made by 4 branches of Bangkok bank, 2 branches of Kasikorn bank, 1 branch of SiamCommercialBank all same requirement, to my friend (I was with him as grantor having already accounts) when he arrived with the NON-IMM O visa to apply for Retirement Stay permit for which the account is a basic step.

@Dennis uk I see your question is very old but just to update the matter: "in 2018 I used to do by computer but now a days since bank's phone applications it is very easy to transfer from any European bank account to a Thai bank account a considerable big amount in the limit of bank's and country's rules, by using everywhere your smartphone.

How did you guys open a Thai bank account from UK? Is it not one of the requriements is residence in Thai by providing them a Thai address with proof of residency like rent contract and electric bill to your name?
-@Bigrad Wolf

You can't open a Thai bank account from abroad. You must have misunderstood a post.

@Bigrad Wolf Considering the attitude of banks here in Thailand it looks to be impossible to open from UK.
To open a Thai basic savings account you should come to Thailand first and bring your Passport and a photocopy of passport with "Statement to be conform the original passport" made by your Embassy in Bangkok.
This was the recent requirement made by 4 branches of Bangkok bank, 2 branches of Kasikorn bank, 1 branch of SiamCommercialBank all same requirement, to my friend (I was with him as grantor having already accounts) when he arrived with the NON-IMM O visa to apply for Retirement Stay permit for which the account is a basic step.
-@Maxi Mari

"Retirement Stay permit"?

As a retiree you're on a permission of stay based on retirement.

It's easy to check out a banks official requirements online. Every banks website is in English and Thai with requirements.

So I'm in The Land of Smiles now and trying to open a Thai bank account.

I have my Passport, an Immigration Report which I have no idea what that is for, but then I was told I would need to present a health insurance covering my stay, as a requirement to open a Thai account with Bangkok Bank.  It just so happens the bank also sells insurance (imagine that!) but it is about  B6K and I am gonna be here only in 2 weeks remaining. 

Any suggestions for cheaper insurance for opening bank account?  I don't mind spending and deem it important to have a global health care insurance but that is for the time when I retire 4 years from now.  For now, I just need to open a bank account with minimum cost.

So I'm in The Land of Smiles now and trying to open a Thai bank account.
I have my Passport, an Immigration Report which I have no idea what that is for, but then I was told I would need to present a health insurance covering my stay, as a requirement to open a Thai account with Bangkok Bank. It just so happens the bank also sells insurance (imagine that!) but it is about B6K and I am gonna be here only in 2 weeks remaining.

Any suggestions for cheaper insurance for opening bank account? I don't mind spending and deem it important to have a global health care insurance but that is for the time when I retire 4 years from now. For now, I just need to open a bank account with minimum cost.
-@Bigrad Wolf

There's no such thing as an "immigration report". If you really need a bank account fast,then accept the insurance. When it expires next year, you don't have to extend it. You have already spent to much money on your condo anyway,so why does 6k baht matter?

Hi folks I got on a rant, but here the deal I'm a newly retired tv news guy,  and for the last 45 years I've been living out of a suit case , now my next move will be my last, why koh samui it seems to be a nice place, and yes yes I do have so fear, but here's the truth I'm 65 going on 66, no debt  I'm not moving there to be some old fart drunk changing work girls younger the my daughter,  if so I'd move to pattaya,  or Disneyland after dark as I call it, even better the pilipines,  as far as the red tape I'll keep working here in Washington dc through the thai embassy,  and later I'll get a local Thai fixer, lawyer to help me the rest of the way, but my big question for follow retired folk and have lived  in koh samui for a few years any regrets if so why

Hi folks I got on a rant, but here the deal I'm a newly retired tv news guy, and for the last 45 years I've been living out of a suit case , now my next move will be my last, why koh samui it seems to be a nice place, and yes yes I do have so fear, but here's the truth I'm 65 going on 66, no debt I'm not moving there to be some old fart drunk changing work girls younger the my daughter, if so I'd move to pattaya, or Disneyland after dark as I call it, even better the pilipines, as far as the red tape I'll keep working here in Washington dc through the thai embassy, and later I'll get a local Thai fixer, lawyer to help me the rest of the way, but my big question for follow retired folk and have lived in koh samui for a few years any regrets if so why
-@dpmalkie1

Koh Samui is a small island and is mostly a tourist place. It isn't actually designed for expats. Stuff available for daily living are limited compared to other places in Thailand, especially on the mainland. By the way, where can I find the country  "pilipines"?

@Leesorry forever!  Sorry Philippines spell check  ha ha

@Leeds forever! Sorry the Philippines,  spell check  ha ha

@Leeds forever! Sorry the Philippines, spell check ha ha
-@dpmalkie1

May I ask, what places in Thailand have you visited? 

"There's no such thing as an "immigration report". If you really need a bank account fast,then accept the insurance. When it expires next year, you don't have to extend it. You have already spent to much money on your condo anyway,so why does 6k baht matter? "

-@Leeds forever!

Good tip. In the end it is just under $200. I just thought also afterwards that maybe they could accept my current US insurance since it covers my stay for 6 months outside US.  Will try that first.

Btw, the Immigration Report is a report that hotels declare to Immigration office for foreigners that checked in.  I just have not connected yet what purpose it does for opening a bank account for tourists. 

EDIT:  I thought of a purpose fot the Immigration report -- it is to be used as a certified address of the tourist for the bank application. 

"There's no such thing as an "immigration report". If you really need a bank account fast,then accept the insurance. When it expires next year, you don't have to extend it. You have already spent to much money on your condo anyway,so why does 6k baht matter? "
-@Leeds forever!

Good tip. In the end it is just under $200. I just thought also afterwards that maybe they could accept my current US insurance since it covers my stay for 6 months outside US. Will try that first.

Btw, the Immigration Report is a report that hotels declare to Immigration office for foreigners that checked in. I just have not connected yet what purpose it does for opening a bank account for tourists.

EDIT: I thought of a purpose fot the Immigration report -- it is to be used as a certified address of the tourist for the bank application.
-@Bigrad Wolf

You are talking about the TM30, it's not an "immigration report", but a "Notification of Stay". It has nothing to do with a certified address for a bank account application. Every hotel and guesthouse must by law report every guest when they are checking in. The Residence Certificate from immigration can be used when opening a savings account at for example Bangkok Bank. If your hotel gave you a receipt for their TM30 report, you can show it at immigration if they ask you about it when/if you're extending the stay. If I were you I would go for the account at Bangkok Bank incl the insurance even if it's basically useless.

-@Leeds forever!

Good tip. In the end it is just under $200. I just thought also afterwards that maybe they could accept my current US insurance since it covers my stay for 6 months outside US. Will try that first.

Btw, the Immigration Report is a report that hotels declare to Immigration office for foreigners that checked in. I just have not connected yet what purpose it does for opening a bank account for tourists.

EDIT: I thought of a purpose fot the Immigration report -- it is to be used as a certified address of the tourist for the bank application.
-@Bigrad Wolf
You are talking about the TM30, it's not an "immigration report", but a "Notification of Stay". It has nothing to do with a certified address for a bank account application. Every hotel and guesthouse must by law report every guest when they are checking in. The Residence Certificate from immigration can be used when opening a savings account at for example Bangkok Bank. If your hotel gave you a receipt for their TM30 report, you can show it at immigration if they ask you about it when/if you're extending the stay. If I were you I would go for the account at Bangkok Bank incl the insurance even if it's basically useless.
-@Leeds forever!

One more thing,if you haven't got one yet, you need a Thai sim-card. because you need a Thai phone number when you're opening your account. (and an email-address).That number is part of the personal information together with the email-address. The number is also used when the bank sends OTP's (OTP = One Time Password). You'll receive those as text messages.

Are there SIM cards I can load online?  So when I'm back in US and the original load expires I can load it up?  Or does the SIM termniates after having no load for say a year?  That would be terrible.   I don't know how to resolve this issue since I'm going back to US and I want to be able to access  my account online to check balances.

Are there SIM cards I can load online? So when I'm back in US and the original load expires I can load it up? Or does the SIM termniates after having no load for say a year? That would be terrible.  I don't know how to resolve this issue since I'm going back to US and I want to be able to access my account online to check balances.
-@Bigrad Wolf

The balance on the simcard can be topped up using the operators app or via mobile banking. This is my opinion,but go for a dtac simcard and just top up a few hundred baht, then download dtacs app from play store. Initiate internet banking when you're opening the bank account. Don't forget to bring your phone with you. Customer service will help you. When topped up,it doesn't matter if it's just 20 baht, the balance is valid 365 days. Don't change simcard = phone number. Stick to same number,it makes everything much easier. I hope you remember your email-address. You'll need it when you're going to the bank. Getting a bank account is crucial. I hope you understand that.

@Leeds forever! Thanks.   I was about to go with DTAC but nice to see you mention and confirm 365 days expiry and the app for top up.  The person I was talking to, she was nice, but I just couldn't really verify whether she understood my questions as she said yes to both conflicting questions that I asked her.  1f923.svg1f923.svg  Oh well, that's why I like this Forum.   I get inputs from another source.

Sadly my phone blocked my SIM.  My provider said my phone/contract  is still new and has to go through a 90-day runout before I could use a SIM.   They suggested I buy a cheap  phone to get the OTP.  I think I will first talk to my agent into lending her phone to me for the SIM OTP since eventually me and her are going to meet for the Bank Account opening.   When I go back to US, I would have run out the 90 days and I could then use  the same SIM number on my current phone.

Bangkok Bank is what I'm thinking of going with ..based from what I read here ... they seem to be easier to deal with.   I LIKE THAT.  1f605.svg

@Leeds forever! Thanks.  I was about to go with DTAC but nice to see you mention and confirm 365 days expiry and the app for top up. The person I was talking to, she was nice, but I just couldn't really verify whether she understood my questions as she said yes to both conflicting questions that I asked her. 1f923.svg1f923.svg Oh well, that's why I like this Forum.  I get inputs from another source.
Sadly my phone blocked my SIM. My provider said my phone/contract is still new and has to go through a 90-day runout before I could use a SIM.  They suggested I buy a cheap phone to get the OTP. I think I will first talk to my agent into lending her phone to me for the SIM OTP since eventually me and her are going to meet for the Bank Account opening.  When I go back to US, I would have run out the 90 days and I could then use the same SIM number on my current phone.

Bangkok Bank is what I'm thinking of going with ..based from what I read here ... they seem to be easier to deal with.  I LIKE THAT. 1f605.svg
-@Bigrad Wolf

You must have a Thai sim card and it must be your own phone number when applying for the bank account because the number is a part of the personal information together with the email address. Why do you need an agent to open a savings account? I don't get that.

@dpmalkie1

You are a tv news guy from the USA, but it's hard to understand what you're saying a lot of the time because of your poor grammar and spelling mistakes. I have to reread what you write 3 or 4 times before I can make a guess on what you are saying. May I ask, "what job did you have in the American media?" Also, why did you choose Thailand to retire to?

I've been in Thailand since 1993 so I know a lot of general information about here. You would not want to live on Koh Samui, it's a tourist destination on a mid-sized island off the coast of where Surat Thani and Nakhon Si Thammarat border. Directly on the mainland closest to Koh Samui is mostly justly tourist areas, too. There would not be a lot to do there for a foreigner expat living there. You said you don't want to do the bar scene with young bar girls, but that is what you will find there. I would suggest you do more research before moving there.