Guns and Roses

The government of PR just voted on and send to the governor a bill allowing people to defend their property with no liability for death or shoot action. As part of the bill your residence was extended to car, boat and other places where you could relax and be a victim. It is unknown if the governor will sign it into law.

In PR if you shoot at someone, even pulling the gun out could land you in a heap of problems with the police and the judge, regarles of you defending your property or your life. In many cases is you shoot at someone, better say nothing and call your lawyer. The above if it becomes law may make it reasonable to own and use a gun.

In PR the government thinks that having a gun is a privilege and has the strongest set of rules I am aware of in the US. Never mind the US constitution, PR is selective as to what a right is unless it is convenient. Nobody has taken them to Federal court about their right to own and carry weapons.

PS. to my knowledge your license to own and carry a weapon from any of the mainland states is not any good in PR.

http://www.noticel.com/ahora/aprueban-m … /714321724

Current weapon law (404) (Spanish) ruling ownership and other subjects regardless of the above news: http://www.bullseyegunshoppr.com/ley404/

No,  I have a concealed weapons permit from the state of Arizona and it's not valid here in Puerto Rico, I hope this law passes, every human being has the right to defend their property family and way of life from those who would pray upon them, During the hurricane crisis, a man down the street from me was murdered Simply because they wanted his generator.

Spencerazac wrote:

No,  I have a concealed weapons permit from the state of Arizona and it's not valid here in Puerto Rico, I hope this law passes, every human being has the right to defend their property family and way of life from those who would pray upon them, During the hurricane crisis, a man down the street from me was murdered Simply because they wanted his generator.

How were you able to bring your gun from the states to PR before you had a PR license? What sort of things you had to deal with to get it into PR?

More info: https://www.nraila.org/articles/2008072 … earms-laws

Wow, Spence, that is awful and was such a scary period of time there, I'm sure!

See this article where a judge threw away all laws about weapons in PR. However it looks like PR threw away the judge rulling because they are enforcing the local laws still or there was another court ruling that blew the court ruling away: http://concealednation.org/2015/06/brea … pen-carry/

I brought the gun legally on the airplane via the airline requirements, once I was in Puerto Rico it was confiscated until I obtained my license here, then I just picked it up at the police station after paying a storage fee

ReyP wrote:

See this article where a judge threw away all laws about weapons in PR. However it looks like PR threw away the judge rulling because they are enforcing the local laws still or there was another court ruling that blew the court ruling away: http://concealednation.org/2015/06/brea … pen-carry/

The government of Puerto Rico appealed that decision, and won.  As a result of that appeal, Puerto Rico's restrictions on gun ownership were restored.

There are a number of legal and regulatory restrictions in Puerto Rico which give me some pause.  We've recently discussed one of those, forced inheritance.  Puerto Rico's restrictions on the right to bear arms, in violation of the Second Amendment and the Supreme Court's recent rulings in Heller and McDonald,  is another source of some concern for me.

WarnerW wrote:
ReyP wrote:

The government of Puerto Rico appealed that decision, and won.  As a result of that appeal, Puerto Rico's restrictions on gun ownership were restored.

There are a number of legal and regulatory restrictions in Puerto Rico which give me some pause.  We've recently discussed one of those, forced inheritance.  Puerto Rico's restrictions on the right to bear arms, in violation of the Second Amendment and the Supreme Court's recent rulings in Heller and McDonald,  is another source of some concern for me.

They play selective fiddle to the states. In some ways it is its own country and in others no different from the states. I assume it is a bit frustrating.

I have a concealed carry permit from Arizona and Connecticut.  Last year went through the process ( much more difficult, like everything else) in Puerto Rico.

If somebody enters my home at night with that much disregard, I can only assume that they  if they have the chance, would also mean me or my family harm,  whatever the law says, I would be forced to protect myself and my family and deal with the  consequences later, I've learned that the police here do little or nothing for our protection.

We followed the same steps as Spencer did brining the gun to P.R.

Spencer,  Your weapon was confiscated??  When my my weapon was transported following airline regulations no issues.  Our luggage was delayed and delivered the following day,  no questions asked, and the luggage had inspection sticker on it.

They are supposed to confiscate the weapon since you do not have a license to have it. It is the law to confiscate it until you get your license.

Yeah, they Took it at the airport, they took everything gone ammunition and holster, I never did get the holster back, my luggage had a stamp on it that said fire arm so they were alerted to the fact.

While I do hold a Puerto Rico weapon permit, I was never questioned or asked to show my permit by anyone.  Not in CT where I declared the weapon, nor by anyone in San Juan.

The bag had been opened and inspected by the authorities.  I don't get it?