New owner in Lagos

Hi all,

Just bought my first place in Algarve! Its taken 6 months to get a mortgage sorted but at last we have a 2 bed apartment to call our own as of yesterday - Hooray!!! Me my wife and 6 yr old boy.

Everyone involved were fantastic if a little laid back (I work in London).

So a couple of questions;

1) our property is in Porto De Mos, doesnt have ADSL coverage from Vodafone, is a 4G box best option or try MEO? Will they have better coverage?

2) what do people do for TV. Is an IPTV box best option running Kodi or are you best to get a satelite subscription?

3) Non Habitual Residency, can i really register as a Portuguese tax resident and pay no UK tax for my employment in UK - why doesnt everyone do this??

Any advice gratefully recieved

Walt

Hi,
I am a French Non Habitual Resident.
1) I have no experience with Vodafone. I have had MEO for 6 months and it works fine. I was lucky to get fiber optics in my area (Loulé)
2) With MEO you get the regular Portuguese channels. If you want a very large offer of international channels you can call Upgrade: 917-526-657 or [email protected] ; this is what I have have been using with great satisfaction.
3) NHR: you have to live here more than 6 months a year; and match some unsaid criteria like investment in a house or apartment. I strongly advise you to use a local lawyer. Ditto for registering your car(s).
By the way, I guess your are Finish considering the flag displayed on your "profile". If so, you must be aware that your country just canceled the tax agreement  with Portugal. Recently published in local newspapers. If you are a UK citizen, I would advise to not start the NHR process because of the Brexit. All UK residents here are worried because they have no clue about what the future is gonna be.
Good luck
Jean-Paul Burtin