Personal/Annual Leave as an ESL teacher in China

Hi!

I'm looking to apply to be an English teacher in China by the end of this year, but I know that I will need to come back to Australia for two short occasions next year. Can anyone tell me what it is like to take personal/annual leave there?

How many days of annual leave do you get apart from the public holidays? What are the policies behind taking leave?

It would be great if I could use annual leave but I don't mind taking unpaid leave if required and that is permitted.

Thanks in advanced.

Once you sign your contract, you will have to work until the first six months. Then you can take your vacation. It varies from company to company, but you will not be able to take it immediately. In fact, many schools won't let you take it until the end of your contract.

This is because many English teachers had left, broke their contracts, and failed to return. That is why the Z-visa was restructured, and educational background has been enforced.

Thank you for your reply VANNROX! It seems like I will have to leave enough time to stay there without coming back for at least 6 months.

Do you know how many days of annual leave after the contract period do they give you? I guess it might depend on the school, but what is the country policy?

Thanks!

It will depend on your contract.

Think of China like America was before the civil war. At that time, the individual States were more powerful then the federal government. In China, each "state" or region has their own rules and regulations. They get their basic policy from Beijing, but it is up to the regions to implement it and make the necessary rules to follow.

Your contract will reflect regional laws and policy.

Great, thanks for making it all clear!

Also depends if you're teaching in a school or training center.  Neither of them really want to let you have extra time out of the classroom. There are kids to teach. Most schools have quite a bit of holiday. 2 weeks to 1 month at Chinese New Year, 1-2 months in summer. Sometimes some Christmas holiday depending on the type of school you're at