Moving to HONG KONG / SINGAPORE - Social Work

Hi guys!  :)

I'm new here and already have a first question ready. I recently graduated as a Social Worker in Belgium and since I don't want to work there, I was thinking about living and working in Asia. After searching around for English speaking jobs as a Social Worker in HK and SING for two weeks, I am actually wondering if it's possible to find a job as a social worker within HK/SING as a foreigner without any experience... I put a lot of time in sending my resume all around (50+ job applications sent), but didn't get any positive feedback yet. Ok, I know waiting for 2 weeks after sending out these job applications isn't that long, but still...

Basically my question is: 'Am I wasting my time, or is there a small chance it's possible for me to find a job?'
Again, I don't have any experience besides internships. (Not to talk about the Visa...)  :/

Thank you for reading!

Regards,

Hi

SG is a nice place, but I notice for last one year, they are not encouraging foreign expats. As you're interested to explore SG job market then I recommend you two options:-

Option # 1: Apply for a tourist visa to SG, stay their for a month, update your contact details in resume and try your luck! Physically present in SG makes a good difference in Job Hunting!!

Option # 2: Enroll yourself in any top tier university in SG such as NUS or NTU, after graduating you're eligible to apply for Singapore PR and your chances to get a better job will be high.

Thanks.

Hi Zohaib.u.khan,

Thank you for your reply!
Option 1 seems interesting for both HK and SIN.

Though I have to say I'd rather be sure and have a job before going there.
I guess, I'll just have to wait for a few weeks to get some feedback on my resumes...

Thanks again!

Hi

Well it always comes to be tough for fresh graduates to hunt their first job wherever they're from. Of course HK & SING is kinda good choice for you to pick, as the basic salary is much higher than ther other countries (I guess). As a first job hunter, I suggest you be more active this time. Instead of sitting and waiting for their calling for interview, try bother to call the companies you send out resume to catch interview chances. As looking back in 1999, the year I graduated from computer science, I sent out my resume by email, called to see whether or not they received, and one more after few days to find out the result. I finally spent less than a month to get one.

I suggest only to try the companies as they're in your top 5 list.

Hope it helps.
Sam.

Hi Samihung,

I'm sorry for not replying earlier... and thank you for your message.
I must say I sent reminders to all the organizations i sent my CV to.
Some say they don't have any vacancies left, others say they will let me know something if I am shortlisted and a lot of them don't reply at all.
One time I tried to call one of the organizations which cost me 10 euros for just 5 mins.
So I don't feel like doing this no more.

Since I am now waiting to get some replies for almost a month I am fearing for the worst...
I wonder if its possible so make my CV public somewhere though.
Or are there any Interim offices who try to get foreigners to work?
Any advice is welcome, Thanks again!

Hi

For job seekers like you staying in your home country and making couple long distance calls in order to stand a chance for interview in your expected working destination, it is not kinda good idea I think. And of course it cost you much for making every single call. They also expect for interview asap, or within a week at most. It causes you too rush to get there without enough preparation. I highly suggest you first make up your mind to decide where you're going, SING or HK. Once you have it, come over smell the fresh air and experience the country for a short while before you start the job hunting. Get use to the environment and people will get you easier to win a working chance. Good luck.

And there's some alternative solutions for you.
(1) If having someone living and working in your expected working destination, it's always a good idea to get you faster to get new job.
(2) Simply visit some job seeking websites is definitely better than sitting and waiting for responses.
     There they are for your reference:
     (i)   www.jobsdb.com.hk
     (ii)  www.labour.gov.hk
     (iii)  www.ctgoodjobs.hk   

Those websites probably let you post your resume online and having vancancies companies will look for you through these websites.

Good luck. You can write me through my personal email if you like, or here:
[email protected]

Thanks,
Sam.

Dear Samihung,

Thank you for your effort in replying again.
I have to say I am actively checking websites like jobsdb.com.hk, CTgoodjobs, recruit.net,... daily and I try to keep applying for various jobs...

Maybe indeed it's better just to go to Hong Kong and try to find a job while I am there. Though I am kind of worried. I have literally sent my CV and resume letter to almost every NGO, social service in Hong Kong. Plus there are only a few who want employers who only speak English.

On the other hand I know that I can still teach English if I don't easily find a job in Social Work, but I am not sure if I want to. I just feel like I should have done this in the first place - going to HK or SING and applying for different jobs - instead of sending around resumes. I am asking myself 'did I loose my chances already?'...

Thanks again,

Hi

Under such circumstances, you may try the English learning centre. It's gottabe better chances to start your first job for being an English tutor. I recommend you try for local schools, learning centres, private English teaching or other related fields. Regardless of how much the basic salary you get, win the first working experience through this for the next few years may get you easier to acheive the second better one. Good luck. The above jobs can also be searched by www.jobsdb.com.hk. Simply visit and type "English teaching" , "learning centre" or other related words, you will get a series of the recently post jobs.

Good luck,
Sam.

Hi samihung

Thanks for the comprehensive explanation. Though I was just saying that teaching English is my safe point if i cant get any job in Social Work. My ultimate plan is to become a social worker though. Thanks again :)