Shopping in Cuba

Hello dear members,

I guess this could be an interesting topic. I invite all members in Cuba (both locals & expats) to share their daily/weekly/monthly experience about shopping. You may also include some shopping tips/suggestions!

So can you please share with us:

>Where do you usually go for shopping?
(Shopping for basic products like Food, Vegetables, Meat)

>What are your favorite shopping malls/complex or boutique?
(Where you usually go to relax or to buy your clothing stuffs, shoes and other shopping related products!)

Awaiting for your contribution ;)

Best Regards

There are three types of "shop" in Cuba. Those owned by the Government and sell using CUCs, they carry quite a wide variation of products from tools to cooking utensils to clothing, shoes and food. In general, tourists use those shops and Cubans when in possession of some CUCs also buy there, but they are paid in pesos, so they have either to receive tips, or exchange pesos for CUCs and there are Cubans who earn their living by doing such money exchanges. The second type of shop are those that distribute the rations and the third comprise people selling fruit and vegetables or "meat" ie: pork, from stalls attached to, or within their homes. Most communities have the equivalent of farmers markets one or two days per week. The latter three described sell in pesos. Chicken for example can be obtained either by buying a live chicken at a market (it is not unusual to see a purchaser cycling homewards with a live chicken hanging upside down from bicycle handlebars), or using CUCs to buy frozen chicken legs at a Government shop. (I guess the breasts go to the tourist hotels). Beef is seldom seen. I should also have mentioned the bakeries which are open 24 hours a day and which providing that they have received flour from the Government, sell 400 gm loaves for 10 pesos and 200 gm ones for 5 pesos.

All tourists will know that  there are lots of street vendors selling hats, shoes, clothes and souvenirs. Advice is to try to find a lady who actually is sitting making hats (about 4 Cucs)rather than the mass produced ones.

Hope this helps. Questions welcome!

Hello MacDuff,

This is an interesting contribution ;) Thanks