Opening a bed in breakfast in Belize

My husband and I are looking at Ambergris Caye as a possible location to live and open a bed and breakfast.  It looks like you need to be a permanent resident or have a Belizean partner to start a business in Belize.  Is this correct?  As it looks like it could take a few years to become a resident.  We will end up hiring local residents, but will not have one as a business partner.  Any input would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you in advance

You  just anwered your own Question if you 'will not have a partner' you will not have a business. Them's the rules.
Alternative if you are in the age bracket for QRP then you can open your buiness  without that need.You can (actually Must) employ local staff, BUT can only have an 'overseeing' position in your business, not a position that would be ordinarily a paid position, like chef, Bar staff or manager or even room maid. But you can be mine host to your guests. Hope that helps.

I am 53 years old and will be 55 before moving to Belize.  We are hoping to buy an insisting bed and breakfast and it looks like a lot of Canadians and Americans have started a business there on their own.  belizeadventure.ca/business/ This website also gives a lot of information as well.  Lots to learn and lots to read up on.  Thank you.

Have you been to Belize and Ambergris Caye?
There are always lots of businesses for sale easier taking over an existing one but the rules are still applicable. Your ages put you well into the QRP range. Never buy any property or business sight unseen even of you do know the area in Question.

I would always see something first. We are still in the research phase. We what to chat with other that have started a business in Belize and what is involved in doing so.

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Free advertising is not allowed on the forum. Please register your services in the business directory.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Greetings from Canada!

We will be in Belize in April and would love to talk to you about your B&B business. You're welcome to connect with me at ****
Best to you - Andrea

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your contact details on the forum. You should exchange them through the private messaging system.Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

I wish you the best!  Good luck! I mean that in a good way!

Thank you! We are very excited to visit Ambergris Caye and speak to locals/expats about the island. Wish we were there right now. Big dumping of snow last night.

where are you now?

Vancouver Canada

Hi everyone. Just a reminder to please use the private messaging system to exchange personal information. Please don't post email or phone on the forum. Also use the classified section or PM's to discuss buying and selling. Thanks, y'all. Feel free to check the forum rules for any questions.