Health insurance

Do Doctors and hospitals accept Medicare insurance and Aon health insurance from USA

Except for very limited circumstances, mostly related to an actual trip in progress, US Medicare will not pay for any health care outside the US.
As for Aon, you'd need to check with them.  If you're talking about a Medicare Supplement, it probably follows Medicare rules, i.e., no coverage.
I'm living permanently in Brazil and keeping up my Medicare and Supplement payments, with the plan of going back in the case of something really serious.   For everything else, in the process of buying private insurance.

Thank you

Hello there! I think it is accepted for certain conditions. I am not completely aware of it, I would ask my uncle and get back to you soon. Few days back my uncle who is on Medicare went to South America for some of his work. For getting healthcare and medical services there he consulted an agent from this site for getting complete knowledge of Medicare terms and condition outside the US.

From the Medicare website:

"In general, health care you get while traveling outside the U.S. isn't covered. The 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, and American Samoa are considered part of the U.S.   

Medicare may pay for inpatient hospital, doctor, ambulance services, or dialysis you get in a foreign country in these rare cases:

You're in the U.S. when a medical emergency occurs, and the foreign hospital is closer than the nearest U.S. hospital that can treat your medical condition.
You're traveling through Canada without unreasonable delay by the most direct route between Alaska and another state when a medical emergency occurs, and the Canadian hospital is closer than the nearest U.S. hospital that can treat the emergency.
You live in the U.S. and the foreign hospital is closer to your home than the nearest U.S. hospital that can treat your medical condition, regardless of whether an emergency exists."

It's very important to avoid giving inaccurate information and guesses as answers to questions here:  while it's good practice to always double-check, some people may not.

I am not sure I have Medicare in the US I had a accident went to nearest hospital that wasn't in my insurance plan in the US. They did cover it first I would ask your insurance provider what is covered. I also had to put up front a certain amount until the hospital got the payment. Beware you may have to make a up front payment. I been told I was cover for 3 months out of the country.

My experience Medicare will cover something that needs emergency care I know in the USA. When your out of service area. I been told it my cover you for 3 month out of the country. I am Permanent Residency and purchased local Medical Insurance It cost more than my Medicare premium. There is no deductible and can go to any of the best hospitals in Brazil full coverage. Still paying on my Medicare but will make decisions probably to drop it in future. Since my home is now here in Brazil.

Spoke with Social Security last week and Abthree is on point of Medicare Coverage abroad, I think any hospital will treat in a Emergency foreign or domestic, it's a doctors oath to do no harm..as for payment I don't care, just treat me. I'll pay up one day.  I continued my plan from work Blue Cross/Blue Shied. I dropped my family coverage and cut my cost in half for I am single and children grown and gone. I was paying over $500.00 usd per month, dropping the exwife I now pay half...and that means festa...lol...I have been fortunate no medical problems for 5 years and with the grace of a Higher Power no illness here in Brasil for the 2 years here....I'm good on medical...

NewBrazil wrote:

Still paying on my Medicare but will make decisions probably to drop it in future. Since my home is now here in Brazil.

Think a thousand times before dropping your Medicare:  if you repent later, because you're moving back to the States or for any other reason, and want to reinstate it, you'll be paying a monthly penalty for the rest of your life.

I, too, expect to be living in Brazil for the rest of my days, and have both a SUS card and local private insurance to cover anything routine.  But I'm keeping my Medicare, and if I'm ever diagnosed with anything serious or complicated, you can bet that I'll be on the first plane back Stateside for treatment.  The premium comes out of my Social Security upfront, so I don't really notice it.

I'm with you on the first available flight for health care or to one of the better treatment facilities here in Brasil.  I plan to live here till my days on earth are done, and I am blessed to have been healthy for my time in Brazil. I do have a stash of emergency pills for dysentery and bad food days and plan to travel back to the USA in maybe 7 months ,see the family doctor, get my meds and return home to Brasil. I will not need Medicare for BC/BS should hold me for my days here in Brasil and on standby SUS....

I agree with keeping Medicare. I would look in the area where you will live as to private heath insurance. Unimed, Amil and such. It is reasonable and no waiting and waiting with SUS. Last year with the trucker stoppage many SUS had no medicine and only could treat emergencies.
Expat insure. check on any agreement with hospitals in your area. Trying to recouped money is a pain.
As to not being worried as to paying then back well I know an expat that could not make arranged payments and is charged 10 % penalty per month. A $20,000 real bill went to a $R100,000 bill very quickly.

Wealth and No Health, to each his own..jus sayn..it aint about money it's bout living...

My health insurance from New York covers emergencies when traveling abroad, however living here no. I have no insurance here and have had excellent care at very cheap prices. I have not purchased a plan for me or my wife and so far saved over 10 years of payments. Still young hoping nothing serious occurs although I have had Shingles, Zika, Swine Flu, Ringworm, and a real bad ear infection. I live in a clean area and don't go to fazendas. My mother in law had no coverage and we would not take her to the public hospital, 2 days in intensive care she died, the cost 10 mil. Most of my and my wife's issues are settled by the pharmacist no doctor including Zika, and the flu and other minor issues, never need a prescription unless a doctor issues one.

"Most of my and my wife's issues are settled by the pharmacist no doctor including Zika, and the flu and other minor issues, never need a prescription unless a doctor issues one."

This is true in many areas. I have met many that do this. I am not a doctor but minor issue  many do. Down side is speaking Portuguese. Not many speak English.

" I would look in the area where you will live as to private heath insurance. Unimed, Amil and such. It is reasonable and no waiting and waiting with SUS. "
I'm with Texanbrazil on this, with this proviso:  find out the local reputation and overall reach of the insurer before you sign on the dotted line.  Even the "national" insurers vary excessively from region to region.  Unimed, for example, is very well-respected in the Center-South, but the regional affiliate here in Manaus is not at all, and is not accepted at the best hospitals.   Amil seems to be highly regarded everywhere, but won't accept new customers over 63 years old.  And some seemingly good plans associated with local hospitals will not cover you out of state.

I agree with those that say Not to Drop their Medicare. Bluntly i would say that Trying to be Cheap and to Recieve a little more money Via your Social Security Check rising by about $150 dollars due to Dropping Medicare is an act of being way too Frugal, Cheap and lastly just Stupid.
If something happens to you in future and you require the Expertise of American hospitals and doctors you will be Utterly Screwed, Finacially, or forced to to stay within Brasil and Hope that you recieve merly adequate care.
Insurance, including Medicare is designed by nature to ease the fear of future financial issues with peace of mind knowing that if an issue occures, that the insurance you pay for will Pay for your future issue, whatever that issue that you pay the insurance premium is for.
Better to Have the Insurance and NEVER need to use rather than Need to use an insurance policy that You Do Not Have.
I do not look at paying an insurance policy for many years, especially a health care policy and never usung it as a "waste of money" as It Did pay for One Priceless item during the years that it was Never Used and that is Called, Security or Peace of Mind!

"I agree with keeping Medicare. I would look in the area where you will live as to private heath insurance. Unimed, Amil and such. It is reasonable and no waiting and waiting with SUS."

are unimed and amil types of expat health insurance?

what is SUS?

thanks

Unimed and Amil are Brazilian insurance companies that provide supplemental private health insurance - mainly to Brazilians, but they'll cover expats as well.  There are several others, both national and regional.  SUS - Sistema Único de Saúde - is Brazil's government owned and run national health service.  Everyone in the country, including visitors, is covered automatically.   Basic care is pretty good, at least in the cities.  But like government health systems in most countries,  SUS is underfunded, and lines and wait times are long.

do you have any suggestions about what type of expat health insurance or travel health insurance or brazilian insurance to get?

i assume that brazilian insurance might be hard to navigate, since i assume that it will all be in portuguese.

i haven't had time to look into the health insurance stuff much, except for listening to some expat.com webinar about it.

thanks

short and simple no.   You will have a hard time processing claims, getting reimbursed.
Purchase local insurance after due dilligency.

For the good, bad, and uggly, go to ReclameAqui.com.br for the dirt on insurers. 
Take with a grain of salt as Brazilians are whinoes and nag on just about everything.

"short and simple no.   You will have a hard time processing claims, getting reimbursed.
Purchase local insurance after due dilligency."

i'm having a hard time understanding your response.  are you saying that i shouldn't sign up for brazilian private insurance because my portuguese is bad, and that i won't be able to file claims and get reimbursed?

"The short and simple" answer refers to Travel and expat insurance, I believe.
Best thing in short term (and it continues) is SUS. This will get you by until you can find a Brazil private insurance coverage in your area.
Expat and travel insurance, you are dealing with out if pocket expenses and waiting for reimbursement.
Travel insurance I basically that used for traveling and for a certain time and has limits as to coverage.
Now some hospitals in Major cities may have agreement with a limited expat insurance companies, but do research.
Also in an emergency you will be given many forms in Portuguese and may not understand them. SUS you will need to just sign and go forward.

thanks.

Compreensive coverage, Amil.
If you live in Sâo Paulo, Prevent Senior.  I do not work for either one of them, just getting it from the grapevine. 
Old acquaintances, an elderly couple, fork R$ 1300 per month and get a lot of things sorted out, such as preventive care, routine check ups, and even specialized care. They run a chain of privately owned Hospitals called Sancta Maggiore

I do not work nor represent them, btw

Thanks

SUS is Brasil's unversal health plan. It is a revolving door system that is set up to stabilize and release the patient as fast as possible. while the service is OK for the most basic emergiencies, YOU SHOULD SEE A PRIVATE DOCTOR AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.
LET ME BE CLEAR, THIS IS NOT ANYWHERE YOU WANT TO BE AS YOUR PRIMARY CARE PROVIDER.

In a Simple Reply,
NO
Sorry

Man $1300 for Amil per month for 2 is great. Ours just jumped to $4000, but a lot of it was due to wife had a small company and had employees sign up. Now she is independent and Amil had to adjust from company to individuals.
Never had an issue with approval for care with Amil and has a network. Unimed I understand is good, but after pre-screening they started excluding every injury, knees shoulder, et al and I said no thank you to cover only 1/4 of my body!!!!

Amil seems to be good everywhere - if you can get it.  Here in the North, at least, they won't touch you as an individual if you're 63 or over.

I have Unimed they made me wait three month before using only emergency would be acceptable if needed before the 3 months. I just had cataract surgery they covered everything no cost. Now have a second eye surgery but needed special lens that I will have to pay just for the lens. Overall I am please with the service. I also had labs and Doctors visit for prepop the surgery all paid for from insurance. I been told there is two types of insurance one that limits you to certain Doctors and hospital and the other is all Doctors and Hospital even the Einstein Hospital in São Paulo. I have the unlimited Health plan with Unimed.