Viet Nam to Australia travel tips?

Looking for transportation tips from the mob of Aussie expats. I'm going to visit relatives, reckon the whole month of May. I've been there a few times before, but if you know of any favorite airlines or passes or tips we'd be much obliged.

Also, should we anticipate a hassle for my Viet wife to get a visa?

Rough Itinerary:

-- SGN -> Perth  (5 Relatives)

-- Perth -> Geraldton (1 relative), 7hrs each way, probably bus

-- Perth -> Hobart (11 relatives)

-- Hobart -> Melbourne to Beachport, halfway to Adelaide (friends)
Long bus ride I think

-- Beachport to Geelong area (1 relative)
Back on the bus

-- Geelong -> Melbourne -> Sydney (friend)
And back to Melbourne airport, fly to Sydney.

-- Sydney -> Cairns / Inisfail (6 rellies +)

-- Cairns -> SGN vi Bali of course!

Yes the Australian side of my family are a fertile lot! thx mates

https://i.imgur.com/Nzw1lie.jpg

I find AirAsia the best.  Do NOT book with the airline.

Expedia will give much cheaper fares.   

You probably already know it is best to fly busiest routes
for best prices.   Good luck with the buses(!!!)     :whistle:

I am told by a friend of mine who is an engineer in the Air Force, not to travel with Air Asia as there maintenance leaves a lot to be desired.
Scoot, cheap arm of Singapore Air is good and reasonably priced. Singapore Air are the airline of choice but are expensive.
Having got to Australia, internal airlines would be the best way getting from city to city. Buses/coaches are not much different in price to airlines but take too much time out of your itinerary. Get a family member to pick you up from the airport.
If I can be of further help, just let me know...
We live in Brisbane...
Mike and Liep.

Fly scoot if you want to be overcharged, lose your luggage and...
  ..well. just read the reviews..?   

CL= 1/2 Rho,V2xS    ..you could always fly Qantas, of course...    :idontagree:

I can't see you having a problem going with you VN wife to Australia. You both need visas, which you may be able to apply for online. Include a note that you will be travelling together to visit relatives.

Beachport is in South Oz and is actually closer to Adelaide than Melbourne. You may consider busing down from Adelaide, then busing from Beachport to Melbourne. You relatives might even like to drop you off in Mount Gambier to shorten the bus trip.

My wife, daughter and myself will never fly Air Asia again, mostly because the overpriced food was inedible, but also because the service was total crap. (Actually, that's a good adjective for the food, too). In spite of the extra cost, we now fly Singapore Airlines. The food is tasty even, the service polite and they fly direct to Adelaide.

transwa run buses from Perth to Gero (Geraldton) There are 3 different routes including along the coast. It's not much of a place.

Malindo is a budget price airline with normal things like free food and 20 kgs free luggage. From the main KL airport, not the airasia one.

furthur wrote:

transwa run buses from Perth to Gero (Geraldton) There are 3 different routes including along the coast. It's not much of a place.

Yeah?! When I was a kid, we went to visit my uncle who ran the tiny airport in Port Hedland. All I remember are the mangroves behind the house, they fed their food leftovers to seagulls; the ant or termite 'statues' bigger than me; and the pier where I tried fishing with old guys, with just a reel of line (no rod) and a baited triple hook on the end. It was great!

My cousin in Geraldton is a character. He alternates. Sometimes commercial fishing. Was boat building. Was also working in a mine. No idea what he is up to at the moment. I think I will like visiting there if it is a working town!

Ive been to Aust a few times. Good beer in some places - crap beer in many places. Good Salvation Army band in Darwin at Christmas.

Everything that flies, crawls, walks, slithers or swims also bites.

And I once drove from Melbourne to Darwin and was racially abused by an Aborigine in a town called  Catherine. He had the biggest nose I had ever seen.

Bazza139 wrote:

I flew Quantas from Melbourne to Singers a couple of years ago. It was like travelling in a cattle truck.

eodmatt wrote:
Bazza139 wrote:

I flew Quantas from Melbourne to Singers a couple of years ago. It was like travelling in a cattle truck.

Yes. Best to avoid Australian airlines. Virgin and Jetstar also. Poor customer service in Australia.

Malaysia airlines have a promo on now. 30% off

furthur wrote:

Malaysia airlines have a promo on now. 30% off

Presumably for mystery destination flights?

You should get working on your visa, it can take awhile..

eodmatt wrote:

Ive been to Aust a few times. Good beer in some places - crap beer in many places. Good Salvation Army band in Darwin at Christmas.

Everything that flies, crawls, walks, slithers or swims also bites.

And I once drove from Melbourne to Darwin and was racially abused by an Aborigine in a town called  Catherine. He had the biggest nose I had ever seen.

That was my uncle, he remembers you well,lol.

great

catch the train to geelong from  Melbourne not the bus. I'd fly to Geraldton from Perth and back if you can, saves you 2 days sitting in a bus with not a whole lot to see. check out the margaret river region if you can. the margaret river sculpture park is good and hamelin bay to see the sting rays.

I've always thought Airasia was pretty good.

He'll be doing well to remember anything, he was so drunk he could hardly stand and this was about 10:30 in the morning.

1. best you contact the Aust Embassy asap re a visa for your wife and yourself - warning, they don't make it easy - you may need a booked return ticket, but ask the embassy - 2. Port Hedland has become the largest bulk ore lading port in the world - worth a look - massively long ore trains, massive ore ships, iron ore dust everywhere - interesting to see, but don't spend too much time there  - end