Family reunion and work permit afterwards

I have a question regarding a family reunion visa in Germany. And yes, we do plan to check with the competent authorities, but before that is possible, I wanted to ask here.

A friend of mine is a student in Germany. She has a longtime boyfriend and wants to marry him in about a week. After that, they were hoping to have him be granted a family reunion visa so that he can join her and work in germany to help her live there. However, I am a bit sceptical and have a couple of questions:

1. Since none of them are nationals of an EU/EEA country (everyone involved is from the former USSR), will the new spouse even be granted a family reunion visa? One more caveat - she is on a 2 year master's degree program but 1.5 years have already elapsed, however, she is essentially guaranteed not to be able to finish her studies on time, most likely needing 2.5 or even 3 years.

2. If the spouse is granted a family reunion visa, will he be allowed to work? He has no tertiary education (he's former military). As for her, she currently is only allowed to work for 20 hours a week, which she does.

Any input will be appreciated a lot.

1. For visa purposes, all nationalities (other than EU) are treated the same. Thus being from the ex-USSR will not be a disadvantage.
As for the duration, the embassy will only consider the official time she has (course, or visa). They will not entertain notions that she will "most probably" need longer.

2. Whether he can work on a family reunion visa is decided on a case-by-case basis - in most cases it is allowed. However, the couple must show sufficient financial resources for both of them (i.e. EUR9000/year per person) BEFORE he gets a job. I assume this is not possible with her 20hrs/week job.
In addition, they also need to show living space (e.g. rented apartment) and German health insurance.

Hi,
Unfortunatly, Beppi errs. Any person who is in Germany for a family reunion permit is allowed to work -- ex lege. It is not a matter of descrition of the officer. Check out "28 Residence Act". They will surely entertain a longer need to study when the correctly structure their individual status.

About to get married with my German fiancee.I am a benenise who is planning to get married in my home country ,Benin Republic this year with my German woman.please could someone out here tell me ,how it will work out and is Benin marriage certificate recognised in Germany ? and how long the processing will take to get a reunion visa because my fiancee wants that we go back together after the wedding? how i s this possible?what are the papers I will need from her ? thank you very much for rapid response.

You should get the foreign marriage certificate legalized by the German embassy in your country, then apply for a family reunion visa to move to Germany with her.
The minimum requirement is basic German language skills (A1 is sufficient), but they might also want to check whether your marriage is genuine, if you have a place to stay and sufficient financial reserves for survival in Germany.

Thank you very much for my previous questions well answered.I would like to ask more questions in this forum because I read in a post that it is possible to for someone who his orvher education is a bit higher to wave the language requirement. I have a licence in English equivalent to Bachelor degree or first degrees and with many years of experience of teaching English now this my question, could I wave this language requirement since I have my first degree?
second ,could someone get married in Benin and apply for the visa in another country with another passport apart from the place where we get married ? Thirdly, could I get a teaching job in Germany?
finally ,how could my fiancee get her Benin visa in stuttgart because she will come here in march  ?thank you for your quick response

I have never heard of the language requirement being waived due to higher education. Maybe you can ask for details from the source of this information?
But you really only need very basic German (A1 level is sufficient) for the family reunion visa - not enough to survive in Germany, so it is a good idea to learn the basics before coming!
As far as I know, you must apply for a family reunion visa in your country of residence (which is not necessarily where you married).
There are many native English teachers here (from UK, Ireland, etc.). Thus it would be very difficult for you to find a teaching job, even if your educational degree is recognised and you have a very good level of German (which is of course a precondition, so you can communicate with your students).
About a Benin visa, I suggest you ask on the Benin forum (or contact the embassy).

Thank you for your reply .I appreciate this advice and the enlightment.More grace to your elbow.

I am still here to ask some queations .How much salary my wife can earn to invite or to proof her financial ability for me to live with her in Germany and the accommodation size?

adeatom wrote:

More grace to your elbow.

I have never heard this phrase before. Could you explain what you mean?

You need to have the official survival minimum (poverty line) or more, which is updated yearly and currently stands at EUR9000/year per person (please note that you are likely to need more in reality, unless you live like a beggar). Accommodation for two people means  a one room flat of around 35sqm - a sublet room won't be sufficient.

I wanted to write "more grease to your elbow which accordimg to me means "more power to your elbow"and it is an expression of admiration for someone's brave action,that is the your  effort of replying all my question or throwing light to where it seems so unclear to me.This is what I can say concerning the question you asked me.We learn everyday ,if there is a mistake I have made,please,don't hesitate to correct me"he who hates correction hates knowledge"according to a say .Thanks, looking forward for your reply

I also haven‘t heard the expression „power to your elbow“, but Google says you‘re not the only one using it. Thanks for telling what it means - I learned something today!

You are welcome ! I learn more from you.I like the way you share the experience and your knowledge with us on this forum.please sir /madam ,my question is not yet replied ,looking forward for the reply if possible .No regret of being part of this forum.thanks

Which question is still unanswered?

6 posts
I am still here to ask some queations .How much salary my wife can earn to invite or to proof her financial ability for me to live with her in Germany and the accommodation size?which unskilled or skilled  work can I do in germany ?

The first question was answered in reply #11 above.
Which work you can do depends on your skills and knowledge. Finding a job won't be easy, especially without language skills. There are some posts about this situation already present in the forum, so you may want to read those.