Possible ways to extend my Job seeker Visa through student or work


I'm a experienced software engineer seeking job in Germany with Job seeker visa(Validity six months). I just want to be proactive here now in case if I don't get Job with in six months. Therefore I would like to know the possible ways where I could extend my visa either by studies or work or through Language Visa or self employment. I've decided to settle in Germany.

Visa extension gives me more chance to find an employment in Germany.

Please advise

Hi Senthil_Germany,

I invite you to please post your resume in the Construction and Civil engineering jobs in Germany section as it might be helpful :)
Wishing you the best of luck with everything

Thank you


Hi Senthil,

Can you please mail ur contact number to me...Need some info from you.



Hi Senthil,

i´ve met someone at school yesterday, whose situation is similar to yours. One week before her visa ends, she found an "Ausbildungsstelle" (according to google translate : training agency :D ) . She signed a 3 years contract with the company. Then she went to Foreign office with these documents in her Hands and got a student visa :) .

Hi Senthil,

Can you please post the ways to extend the job seeker visa? I am already here in germany for more than 2 months and searching for job. Your answer would give a sigh of relief for me.


This thread was started over 2 years ago and it seems the author hasn't been active at this site since. Not likely he will be giving out much advice...

As far as I know, the job seeker visa cannot be extended. But please confirm this with the relevant authorities!

Thanks you. I will find it out with authorities.

Have you had a chance to check if being freelance is an option to extend ? Establish own company and be self employed ?

Freelancing is allowed, but i need to have a  freelance job offer to convert job seeker visa to EU blue card. In that case, no need to extend.

My visa will expire in 3 more months, chances of getting a job not so bright, so was looking for options to extend the visa.

I'm an Indian, staying in berlin on 18 Months job seeker visa, which will be expiring  by 24 March,2017.
Now I got Internship job offer for 6-months in berlin.
Do u know, possibility to extend my job seekers visa with supporting docs (contract for internship).
or suggest any agency to help me in extension of  my job seekers visa.

The JSV is specifically for job search, so it is certainly possible to convert it to work permit once you find a job. Didn't the issuing authority (embassy?) tell you about this, or it is inc;luded in the paperwork you got? Since this is a major topic for JSV holders - why didn't you think about it earlier?
In any case, you should contact the embassy or foreigner authority (Auslaenderbehoerde) to ask how to do it.

You’ve decided to settle in Germany? No, you’ve decided you WANT to live in Germany. Doing it is another matter. Your question is a bit strange in terms of working because if you’ve come on a job seekers visa and find no job then it didn’t work out. Yes, foreigners can study in Germany but one has to meet the requirements and need to be able to finance their stay. Part time work to help one be able to study is possible but limited.

One cannot just settle in Germany on a student visa – and cannot work full time. That’s not how it works here – or anywhere in the world I know of. Sounds like you are basically wanting to know a way around all of the rules. I don’t think anyone here can help you with that. There are no “secret tricks” to getting to immigrate – or else everyone would do it. You need to concentrate on your job search, which includes showing you have wanted skills and are able to adjust and work within the rules in Germany. A big plus if you don’t already speak German is to learn it the best you can. Not sure what else you expect to hear.

Actually I got full time job offer Internship for 6 months. After 6 months they may offer full time job.

To do the internship (or any other work), you need to convert the JSV to a work permit. Ask at the Ausländeramt how to do this.
If the employment is extended after the initial six months, you can apply for an extension of the work permit.

Thanks a lot for info & advice. I'm an Indian 25, finance professional in Hamburg now. Done my master degree in finance fm germany.

Hi mumtazwa,
I'm looking for finance opportunities in Frankfurt. I have done my Masters in Finance from NYU and have 2.5 years of work experience in the United States. How is the job market for finance professionals currently?

Job opportinities for Finance mainly quarts are good. But in  most of the job fluent Germany language is needed.

Quantitative analyst jobs.

New topic

Expatriate health insurance in Germany

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Germany

Moving to Germany

Find tips from professionals about moving to Germany

Travel insurance in Germany

Enjoy stress-free travel to Germany

Flights to Germany

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Germany