Hungary and Hungarians

I'm Mohamed Nazim student in Istanbul ( Turkey ), i'm searching about the Hungary educative system and life in Hungary specially for Hungarians, maybe i'll be there after finishing my studies here ( +3 years ) .

My question is why a lot of Hungarians are leaving their country ?

Leaving to make money in the west, wages are generally low in Hungary for the same skills in the west.

In my opinion, there are 2 reasons.
1. Money - wages tend to be lower here than elsewhere.
However, it should also be noted that the cost of living is lower here as well.
That said, I know of at least 3 Hungarians personally who moved to the UK and all 3 moved back disappointed with the working situations there. Two moved back in less than a year; one in under 2 years.  Germany is a more popular destination, but it also has its issues.  And finally I know someone who moved and stayed in Switzerland. He loves it there.

2. Language - Hungarian is a very difficult language to learn and the system here can be a convoluted, confusing, and frustrating maze if you are not able to read and speak the language.  Yes, I know some people can get conversationally fluent in time, but try to navigate the bureaucracy here -- whether governmental, banking, healthcare, or almost anything else -- and it can be seriously difficult. Especially if you do not know anyone who knows the system because there are rules, and there are workarounds for those rules.

That said, I think Hungary is a thriving city with reasonable costs that could be a platform for future career growth in certain industries.  Good luck!

Vicces1 wrote:

Especially if you do not know anyone who knows the system because there are rules, and there are workarounds for those rules.

I knew some here that left because they were seeking a merit based system rather than a good old boy system. In other words, a place where they could excel based on what they know, not just on who they know.

klsallee wrote:
Vicces1 wrote:

Especially if you do not know anyone who knows the system because there are rules, and there are workarounds for those rules.

I knew some here that left because they were seeking a merit based system rather than a good old boy system. In other words, a place where they could excel based on what they know, not just on who they know.

I would 100% agree, I would suggest however, that "who you know" is an effective tool in any country, not just Hungary. But there is no denying that knowing the right people can expedite anything!