Close

Do I have to pay income tax?

Guys, I am stuck with a typical problem. I recently moved to KL with a 2year contract for an organisation. But due to business requirement I have to move to a neighbouring country before Feb 2018. I started with this organization on Nov 1st 2017 and the company deducted the applicable tax while paying my salary. As of my knowledge if I am working in Malaysia and leaving before  90days, I need not have to pay tax, I might be wrong, so need to know:

1. If I am going back before 90days will I get back the tax deducted by my employer and what is the process around it

2. If I have to pay tax, will I have to file my tax returns before I leave or is there any other process around it.

Looks like 60 days is the length of time to be not liable for tax, not 90. There is a contact number which might be useful
http://lampiran2.hasil.gov.my/pdf/pdfam … c2ffc94b55

Your company is the best to advise on this. I think you will have to do 2 things. 1) a tax return for 2017 plus 2) Leavers Certificate completed by employer for 2018 - as they are different tax years.

Thanks a lot Gravitas fro your input

Expatriate health insurance in Malaysia

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Malaysia

Moving to Malaysia

Find tips from professionals about moving to Malaysia

International Wealth Management

Get advice from well-reputed and experienced international wealth managers regarding your financial affairs

Travel insurance in Malaysia

Enjoy stress-free travel to Malaysia