American food products

I imagine there are a couple places in Bucuresti that might carry American food products for that occasional treat. Any guidance?

Try any of the large food chains: Carrefor or Auchan. There might be others. I live in Pitesti and in my little local Profi (Romanian chain) I find Heinz ketchup :). But even in the large chains I dont see a lot of American brands...but i honestly dont really look for them. I buy the local/Euro stuff. To me just as good. I prefer European beer. American whiskey is available. As far as a store dedicated to American products (like an Italian deli New York): maybe in Bucuresti; not where I am. Let me know if you head my way some time...I'll buy you a beer...or two or three. Rich Krieger

Oh, in Focsani I found good cheddar and anchovies at Lidl and decent barbeque sauce at the big Carrefour. But I figured there would be an international market in Bucuresti I might find a single place with a significant American section the way the international markets in St. Louis have. Just to have an occasional treat. Romanian pickles are boring. And I might find things to amuse me.

JohnnyStLouis wrote:

Oh, in Focsani I found good cheddar and anchovies at Lidl and decent barbeque sauce at the big Carrefour. But I figured there would be an international market in Bucuresti I might find a single place with a significant American section the way the international markets in St. Louis have. Just to have an occasional treat. Romanian pickles are boring. And I might find things to amuse me.

I'm not sure you'll find a "international market" with many American sourced items.  The main chains carry what they can, and that's about it.  There's a good number of American food products that are banned in the EU due to BHA and other ingredients linking them to cancer.  I think the cost of shipping and duty is also cost prohibitive for many stores.

A while back some British expats were also asking about their "home" products here and having a hard time finding them.  For them, they can take a fairly cheap flight now and then to stock up.

I typically bring back some goodies whenever I cross the ocean, otherwise I rely on local offerings and EU equivalent products, which often lack the carcinogens that Americans unknowingly gobble up.

Romaniac

And watch out for US products that are made locally (or in Europe in general) under license.  They're not the same.
For instance, Dr Pepper tastes like [insert bad word here].   I'm strongly considering buying bulk syrup from the 'States and having it shipped so I can make my own when the time comes for me to settle in.   :D