Interesting customs and traditions in France

Hello everyone,

Living outside of our home country requires us to adapt to a new culture and different traditions. What are some of the cultural specifics in France?

What are some of the traditional beliefs and cultural practices that you have encountered in France that are different to your home country?

Tell us a bit more about some of the customs that you've found interesting, such as communication style, food, greetings, laws, or festivities.

What were your initial reactions and how did you adapt to them?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

lol .... I have a lot to say but I would keepit short not to bore you.

The whole aim of me travelling is to find new cultures and language.
Cultures are just fascinating.

I think the top two customs in France, for me, are the mode of greeting (kissing on both cheeks) and the smiles on people's faces.

I love the cutom of greeting and I find it very heart warming, it reassures me during the day, that getting at least one 'quick hug that comes with a kiss' just makes the day a whole lot better.

At first it was kinda awkard, especially towards male friends, but I soon got a hold of it and I love it.

Next is the smile, I dont know if the magic is in me, hahahahahahaha, but since I have been in France especially Toulouse and the few places I have travelled to in France, people smile at me. I mean strangers, supermarket, mall, school (except test weeks tho hahahaha). And I find that very welcoming.
I am learning to smile more also, and imbide that culture in my personal life.

Let me stop here and find interesting things to do for my first Xmas in France!!!