Hi! New Guy Introduction

My name is Errol.  I'm a retired, disabled Army vet.  I am looking for laid back and slow motion.

edkimble wrote:

My name is Errol.  I'm a retired, disabled Army vet.  I am looking for laid back and slow motion.

Hola Ed,

Welcome to Expat.com!

Outside of any of the larger cities you'll find a much more laid back life style.  You'll see that "everything" is slow here with the exception of some of the maniac drivers.   :cool:   But life overall is very peaceful here and the majority of Tico's are always willing to help in anyway that they can.

Have you spent any time here yet?  You will definitely want to spend some time here yourself to find an area that fits all of your needs.  It's a really fun country to explore. Personally, I enjoy cruising around the country on a motorcycle.  It's cheaper on gas and you just see so much more of the environment.  Plus, much easier to explore the many, many little backgrounds that go on and on.

Good luck on your search,  ☀️🌴
- Expat Dave

I spent a year in Jakarta, Indonesia.  Your drivers are rank amateurs comparatively!

edkimble wrote:

I spent a year in Jakarta, Indonesia.  Your drivers are rank amateurs comparatively!

I've seen videos of driving conditions there... I think you're right.  I lived in Russia for a while and same thing - they'll drive on sidewalks to avoid heavy traffic - absolutely insane.

- Expat Dave

Welcome Errol. I think most any small town is laid back. If anything you might find life here too laid back at times. San Jose is not laid back at all though, it's all up in your face stressful! Fun to visit for a day or two but that's about it for me!

Beach towns tend to be even more laid back, unless they're super touristy. But there are still some that aren't too touristy.

Note that even some of the mid-sized towns can get busy on Mondays, Fridays, Saturdays and the 1st and 15th and 30th of the month and a day or two before holidays. Other than that even the mid-sized towns have a nice slower and friendly feel to them.

I have had many instances with car problems - a flat tire or such - where people have gone out of their way to help me. And I like that people know me when I walk into the hardware store or bank. They may not know my name always but they know my face and say hello, sometimes shake my hand. I find that refreshing as compared to having lived in a big U.S. city where even the cashier I saw at the grocery store every week didn't even say hello or smile.

Just remember that slow and laid back also means you will often wait in lines or chair-queues for an hour or more to get some business done! But when it's your turn, no one will rush you! Laid back!

Every bit of that is totally acceptable to me.  Thank you for that information.

edkimble wrote:

Every bit of that is totally acceptable to me.  Thank you for that information.

Well then you should be okay here. Continue to read the forums to learn more, and my best advice is do not make any long term commitments like buying a property or signing a long term lease until renting short-term there first.

It might be fantastic in March but you might hate it in October!

My observation is that people who are living in COLD climates are more tolerant of the weather in Costa Rica whereas if you are used to a warm dryer climate like Calif. or such you may not like Costa Rica weather because it does get much more humid than Calif. so that's a big adjustment. Or if you are from Nevada you might find the humidity of Costa Rica hard to take.

In many ways Costa Rica's climate is a lot like Florida or Georgia etc, but also somewhat different.

Nobody has more humidity than Houston, Texas.  I'm good.

Hello, Errol. I'm new on this board as well. To live here in Costa Rica is quite expensive. I believe it is the most expensive country in Central America. The infrastructure is abysmal and driving here is a terrible experience. I live in the Central Valley which, for me, is terrible. Just miles and miles of sprawl with very few green spaces and connected houses abounding. If you move here, try and find a rural peaceful place outside the central valley, if possible.

ParkwayPro wrote:

Hello, Errol. I'm new on this board as well. To live here in Costa Rica is quite expensive. I believe it is the most expensive country in Central America. The infrastructure is abysmal and driving here is a terrible experience. I live in the Central Valley which, for me, is terrible. Just miles and miles of sprawl with very few green spaces and connected houses abounding. If you move here, try and find a rural peaceful place outside the central valley, if possible.

Hi ParkwayPro...it sounds like you hate living in CR. If not too personal a question, why do you continue to live there?

We live outside of Puriscal in a very rural setting.  We find the cost of living here quite a bit less than in Canada.  Driving, to me, is is no problem ....... even drive quite frequently through the heart of San Jose.
Some of the infrastructure is in poor repair in some places.
Cheers ....

Hello. I am still living here because my wife is here. She's the only thing that keeps me here. I've had a very difficult time with the language-- i can't understand anything the Ticos say because they speak how they drive-- FAST! It's very awkward for me to go out in public because if someone talks to me I can't really understand them at all. To ask them to repeat themselves would be prolonging the agony of the awkward encounter. I shun any type of attention. Trying to tough it out. I've developed a social anxiety around the Ticos which is just terrible. Very stressful....

Unfortunately, many other expats have trouble with the language. Some,  make it sound 'so easy' but it isn't. I can understand females much easier than males.

Hi.  I'm from Houston too.  Sharpstown.  Where are you from?

ParkwayPro wrote:

Hello. I am still living here because my wife is here. She's the only thing that keeps me here. I've had a very difficult time with the language-- i can't understand anything the Ticos say because they speak how they drive-- FAST! It's very awkward for me to go out in public because if someone talks to me I can't really understand them at all. To ask them to repeat themselves would be prolonging the agony of the awkward encounter. I shun any type of attention. Trying to tough it out. I've developed a social anxiety around the Ticos which is just terrible. Very stressful....

Hola Parkway,

Have you tried using Google Translate?  It's latest versions works very well.  If someone is willing to speak into your cell phone it translate into English.  Or you can type it into your cell phone with the same results.  I use it all the time.  I have one Tico that works for me that speaks zero English and we use it all the time.

I've been here over 8 years and still struggle with espanol.  I have TBI and many issues related to it, including short term memory problems.  This has made it very difficult for me to become fluent in any way.  I do the best that I can and Ticos are always willing to help.  One of my first phrases, "porfa, habla mas despacio."  Please speak slower.  As with any country, you'll find some people speak faster than other.  Same as with English speaking people.

If you shut yourself in you definitely will not see the positive sides of living here.  Good luck to you.

- Expat Dave

ExpatDave wrote:
ParkwayPro wrote:

Hola Parkway,

Have you tried using Google Translate?  It's latest versions works very well.  If someone is willing to speak into your cell phone it translate into English.  Or you can type it into your cell phone with the same results.  I use it all the time.  I have one Tico that works for me that speaks zero English and we use it all the time.

I've been here over 8 years and still struggle with espanol.  I have TBI and many issues related to it, including short term memory problems.  This has made it very difficult for me to become fluent in any way.  I do the best that I can and Ticos are always willing to help.  One of my first phrases, "porfa, habla mas despacio."  Please speak slower.  As with any country, you'll find some people speak faster than other.  Same as with English speaking people.

If you shut yourself in you definitely will not see the positive sides of living here.  Good luck to you.

- Expat Dave

Ah, thank you for your response, Dave. I should've introduced myself but I am socially awkward and don't like being the center of attention (even around Gringos!)

I do have a translation app on my telephone and use it quite extensively. I have never used it with a Tico because, quite frankly, I haven't thought of it! I practice with it practically every minute whether I am stuck in traffic. waiting somewhere, etc.

Actually, I have studied quite a bit of Spanish over the years and some of it has stuck. I can speak enough to get by, but they speak so fast I can't understand any of it. So it's like-- why bother even talking if you can't conversate? It's like the Peanuts cartoon when Charlie Brown is on the telephone or something; it just all blends together.

I told my doctora the other day to slow down; she slowed down for a minute or so and then started back up again. Same thing with my mother-in-law; she slowed down for a minute and then started again with automatic gun fire talking! It's natural for them. I get it.

Thank God my wife and suegra (mother-in-law) speak Spanish or I would've fled this country by whatever means necessary-- by raft even!

Can you understand anything the Ticos say?

A thousand thanks for your words of wisdom, Dave.

Graduated from Bellaire!  Family is out in Missouri City now.

swtjdblis wrote:

Hi.  I'm from Houston too.  Sharpstown.  Where are you from?

Graduated from Bellaire!  Family is out in Missouri City now.