Keeping in touch while living in Norway

Hello everyone,

What are the best ways you've found for keeping in touch with friends and family back home while living in Norway? How frequently do you stay in touch with loved ones?

Are there local equivalents to common instant messaging and online video calling services that you prefer or are more widely used?

If there is a sizeable time difference, how do you manage this?

Do you make international phone calls from a landline or mobile phone from Norway? What do you think of the cost?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Facebook, whatsapp and skype video calls.

These are three majors tools that I used to keep contact with my families and friends in Singapore. 

Skype is only with  my mum who wants to see me and my daughter.  its really useful because I can show her the snowy scenary etc.

Whatsapp allows me to keep track of the gossips among our friends and make sure that I am not left out from any interesting topics that my friends are conversing at the moment.  We shared pictures of funny things we encountered daily too.

I keep my Ph mobile numbers on Globe and Smart networks that I have on roaming of course for business back home. It's cheaper to just maintain a balance of PHP1000 or 160kr on both of them and I reply with the messages using Viber and Facebook for family and friends all over the world. Texting costs PHP25 per reply to them with my PH sims, my Norwegian sim is Telenor but I do not use it to call or text in PH. Telenor postpaid subscribers like me need to pay  9.99kr/min for calls to PH and  1.99kr/SMS while if you're a prepaid subscriber its 12.99kr/min for calling and 1.99kr/SMS to PH.

Other norwegian sims are Telia/Ice/Talkmore/Onecall/Chess I dunno much from their products but I hear Talkmore mostly from my Filipino friends have good pricing and services. :)