Close

Romania - Any help apprecitated!

Hello all! First of all big thanks to everyone here.

My flights are booked so I'm leaving for Romania beginning of March.
Currently trying to get a flat sorted. Thankfully I've got friends who are going to help me do that from here. I'm talking with someone about a possible flat. Its difficult of course because we are negotiating in Romanian and while I speak Romanian on the phone and about legal terms which I've never had to use before can be challenging! Anyway this flat was too expensive for me, but I said I'd be willing if it was cheaper. The response was
'Vrei contract prin ANF (fisc) sau fara?'
So it says 'do you want a contract with ANF , fisc or without.'
What is ANF? Will I need one? How is that related to the price?
Thanks!

Pisicuta :

Hello all! First of all big thanks to everyone here.

My flights are booked so I'm leaving for Romania beginning of March.
Currently trying to get a flat sorted. Thankfully I've got friends who are going to help me do that from here. I'm talking with someone about a possible flat. Its difficult of course because we are negotiating in Romanian and while I speak Romanian on the phone and about legal terms which I've never had to use before can be challenging! Anyway this flat was too expensive for me, but I said I'd be willing if it was cheaper. The response was
'Vrei contract prin ANF (fisc) sau fara?'
So it says 'do you want a contract with ANF , fisc or without.'
What is ANF? Will I need one? How is that related to the price?
Thanks!

What they are referring to is ANAF , the tax authorities.  It's common for landlords to make rental contracts and not register them with ANAF so that they can offer a lower rent, since they are not paying income tax on the rent.  It is however, completely illegal on the part of the owner and IGI (immigration authorities) won't accept such a contract in order to issue a residence permit.  In their offices, it specifically states that rental contracts must be registered with ANAF.

Romaniac
Expat.com Experts Team

Not to mention the fact that if they found a tenant willing to pay more, they could kick you out without notice. Definitely get one with a contract and make sure it gets registered.

Are you moving to Bucharest? If so, let us know the location and size of the flat and we can probably give you a good idea if they price they're suggesting is reasonable or not.

Fantastic thanks! I'm actually going to be staying outside Bucharest in a place called Buftea.

Maykal :

Not to mention the fact that if they found a tenant willing to pay more, they could kick you out without notice. Definitely get one with a contract and make sure it gets registered.

Legally, they cannot do that.  Even a contract that is not registered @ANAF is still a binding legal contract.  Though, the owner will face tax evasion charges the moment they try to enforce anything :) To evict, they would need to obtain a court order and have the police enforce it according to the civil code.  Granted, a lot of owners don't know this and behave in their lawless ways and the receiving end concedes their protective rights.

Expatriate health insurance in Romania

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Romania

Moving to Romania

Find tips from professionals about moving to Romania

Travel insurance in Romania

Enjoy stress-free travel to Romania