Paying bills in the Solomon Islands

Hello everyone,

What bills do you pay? If you are renting, are bills included in the price of rent, and is this common practice in the Solomon Islands?

How can you pay your bills (e.g. online, at provider's store, at the post office)? Which is the most convenient or reliable way?

With what frequency are different bills sent in the Solomon Islands? Are there different deadlines for payment?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Bills in the Solomon Islands, at the moment there are 2 sets of bills, Solomon Power (our electricity provider) and Solomon Water, (our Water provider), Our bills are due monthly, I never rely on the getting my bills via email or the post office, as its so inconsistant, I make a point of picking up my bills  directly from the service provider and paying for it by the 15th of each month, makes it easy for me.
As a land-lord, my services I can provide to renters vary, if I would provide a property with power and water included in the rental charge, I would cost it at a much higher price, because this would require my time, but most typically I put out my properties at a as is where is basis where the tenant looks after their own bills, this is more the norm unless the company you work for is willing to front the payment for the landlord to look after utilities. 

When you receive a bill, there are two ways to pay for the service, either do a direct deposit into the service providers bank account which takes about 2 - 3 business days to clear, or you can take it directly to the service providers office and do a direct payment to their cashiers desk where you receive a receipt, that I highly recommend you file away, as the possibility of being investigated for a month they feel you haven't paid as their service men or cashiers don't always get the job done right is very high.

A new concept in the Solomon Islands is the Cash Power service which has been introduced by Solomon Power, this is basically a pay as you go service which is quite easy, where you can select a range of units starting at the lowest $5.00sbd and it goes as high as you want to go, this is a very good concept that allows you to "top up" your power via your phone if you sign up with the proper services which are provided by every bank in the country, nothing yet for the water.

Though I still stick to the metered system and pay monthly.

It's not as bad as it sounds, I have through the number of years dealing in this business built up a steady relationship built around both respect and mutual understanding that I can walk in there and within 30min walk out again with any issues either solved or on the right path to being solved, they are just people too who don't have the best standard of customer service, the more you smile the better your service will be.