Dealing with homesickness in the Solomon Islands

Hello everyone,

Being an expat in the Solomon Islands can turn out to be a wonderful human, social or professional adventure... with potential moments of nostalgia and homesickness along the way.

What are your personal tips to prevent homesickness?

How do you deal with such feelings?

Are there shops or stores offering products from your home country in the Solomon Islands? Or maybe venues with music and ambiance from your homeland?

Thanks for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

An excellent topic Priscilla and very important.
When working in places like the Solomon's keeping busy week to week is very important and becomes more involved than what was ever anticipated . people and there circumstances can effect you in ways that tend to mentally and physically drain you. Finding some one or a group to just  chill out with is highly recommended. Just to speak with fellow expats in your own language is more therapeutical than first thought.
Although many expats tend to socially act different in these countries than what they do in there home country is still something I don't fully understand. Remember many local individuals and family's can provide some exceptional friendships , Locals are no different from you and me in there life needs and wants only circumstances are different allow your self the time to benefit from this . Some of the  best friendships and experiences of my life have been with local people and only limited to an individuals social skills. Don't limit yourself through language barriers if you are not proficient with pidgin.  70% of communication is body language people will Know more about you than you realise.
There are places around town that you can get foods and brands that you maybe used to , Ask around . Panatina plaza used to be good for that.
Communicating back home is not hard , Phones , internet ,all available , best option set up your global roaming before hand and purchase a local sim card if needed for a back up. There is nothing better than hearing your family or friends after a challenging day or to just settle your mind.
There are many things to do around town if you are bored.
Golf ,Diving/Snorkelling, The Beach, Fishing, Day trips. Weekends away at different places or islands.
Getting out of Honiara for a short time will give you a well deserved break and outlook of where you are. Why go all that way without wanting to see and experience the Solomon's as a whole .Trust me there are some once in a lifetime experiences to be had. If you don't leave Honiara you simply haven't seen. 
These are my views and opinions  from my experience and will vary from others, this is why these sites are helpful to others and I encourage people to contribute so there is a genuine informed source of information for all.
All the best
Maliata