Immigration rules question when visiting from US

hi, sorry if this has been asked before, but i can't find it. if i come from the US i  understand i get 180 days free visit right. what if i return to the US on day 179, turn around and come right back to Mexico? can i do that? is there a minimum amount of time you need to stay back in the US before you can reenter? what are the rules?

thanks

This article might be quite useful to you, until other members might reply back with their experiences.

https://latintravelguide.com/mexico-tou … sa-renewal

Good luck
Romaniac
Expat.com Experts Team

thanks but that link is not what i was expecting at all. i thought the tourist visa (FMM) was free on entry to Mex and always 180 days.

i'm planning a 6 month motorcycle trip, if i get less than 180 days on entry it will really mess up my plans.

what the reality on the ground if crossing in your own vehicle?

thx steve

ok, i found this http://www.discoverbaja.com/fmm-faqs/

How long is the FMM valid for?

The paid FMM tourist permit is valid for a period of up to 180 days (as long as your passport does not expire before that time) At the border, they will ask you how long you would like the permit for and you should ask for the full 180 days. The free FMM is only valid for seven days or less.

Tourist FMM is 500 pesos.Normally you can return to border by day it expires and immediately re-enter.

Sonia Diaz Ortega wrote:

Tourist FMM is 500 pesos.Normally you can return to border by day it expires and immediately re-enter. My web site will help.

Hi, I am not an expert but here is a link on the subject including a event that happened to a couple. http://explorenayarit.com/blog/6-month- … ease-read/

Adios y buen dia a todos, GyC.

Very different situation as they continuously entered as a tourist for years. In addition they were fraudulently earning income in Mexico which requires registration with SAT, paying tax and not having a work visa. They should have not been allowed to enter at all.

Too many expats earn Mexican sourced income and do not have approval nor pay tax. In addition, when the landlord does not reside in Mexico the tenant by law must withhold the tax, approx. 30% of the rent, and pay it to SAT or the tenant is committing fraud.

steveh2112 wrote:

hi, sorry if this has been asked before, but i can't find it. if i come from the US i  understand i get 180 days free visit right. what if i return to the US on day 179, turn around and come right back to Mexico? can i do that? is there a minimum amount of time you need to stay back in the US before you can reenter? what are the rules?

thanks

This may have some of your answers.
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=545715
It's about 15 pages in and is titled 6 month tourist visas

I have a lot of experience going back and forth for years.  There is a general rule which the ADUANA agent can bend more or less at his discretion.

Most of us tend to think and speak of that little piece of paper you get as a visa, They are not using the FM language. So it's a tourist visa or pass when you first go through. If you bought that bike in the U.S., you will have to have paperwork for an import.and Mexican insurance like a car

I would think. Most people get a 180 day visa when crossing. The bottom line with the 180 day visa is you must cross back into another country before it expires , the U.S. or Belize.

Most require that you be there a minimum of 3 days before you return and get a new 180 day visa. I did that for several years. If you have a Mexican bike all of that will go much easier. It's sort of the more American stuff, the more scrutiny.

well nell fire heres how i do it in juarez mx cross boreder stop get 180 day fmm go aproxx 20 miles south on way to chih. get 180 day pass for car turn in car pass before 180 days then turn in fmm 180 day then go about my business in juarez then go back and get stuff all over have done this many times in over25 years and iam usa citizen never leave mexico because you can stay in exico border zone for 72 hours with no pass if you stay in border zone longer than theywant you to get 180 day fmm but they dont check also 7 days is free free i lived in juarez for 10 years and never was asked if asked i would sy just got here 1day ago never was asked ever crossed may times in one day also

also you can import your moto for 180 days then turn in you will pay a deposit and then they will return it to in about 3 days on your credit card or debit card also you can pay cash deposit at so locations  i have also done this many times also you need good mexican insurance by  amexican company your usa or other ins. is not valid .i know this first hand so i always by mexican ins. to be safe i have had a mexican ins policy for 10 years and just renew every year easy to do

Hi everyone,

Please note that some posts have been removed from this thread.

Thanks,

Priscilla
Expat.com team