Applying for a Tourist Visa Extension

Hi,

My wife and I are currently travelling in South America and due to arrive in Brazil in two weeks. We both have our visas which we obtained in Australia before leaving.

Our issue is that we accidentally started our Brazil Visa ticking over without realising when we visited Iguazu Falls back in August, we were originally just visiting the Argentinian side of Iguazu Falls and stupidly decided at last minute to go checkout the Brazil side because we could not check in to our hostel until the afternoon.

We already had all our flights in and out of Brazil booked (which are non refundable) before we left which was part of the Visa requirement so we could not change our dates of visiting Brazil. We are now about to arrive in Brazil and have one week with a valid visa.

We arrive on Sunday the 29 October and our visa will run out on Sunday 5 November (90 days).

Our flight out of Brazil is on the 2 December which is non changable/refundable.

My questions are:

- How likely are we to be granted a 90 day extension?
- Is there enough time to process the extension?
- Are the Federal Police Offices open on weekends, I understand there is one at Rio De Janeiro airport and we arrive at 6am on a Sunday
- In this situation should we contemplate just overstaying i.e. what if we apply and get rejected then we would have to pay for another flight out of the country earlier and lose our later flight anyway?

Regards,
Pete

Anyone??

I do not know if the  Federal Police Office at the airport is open on Sunday, so I can't help you in that area. They do have a Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Policia- … 0914281065

In regards to the time to process the extension, they did mine while I waited. You just have to present your documents, explain why you want the extension, and of course pay the fee. It's a stamp in your passport (or at least that's how it was when I did it several years ago).

Be prepared for a long wait. I was there several hours, but once they got to me the process was pretty fast. For this reason you might consider going back on Monday after you are rested, and won't have to worry with your baggage (if you have any).

Good luck.

Thanks for the response Ken.

My wife and I are actually in Brazil now and we went to the Federal Police at the airport to extend our visa to which they said we didn't need to extend and that we had validity until January.

That information goes against all other info I have received but I didn't feel it was necessary to argue and we are now going to just leave it.

Pete

Hi Pete,

Glad it worked out for you.

In regards to the "yes...no" issue I have to say that is common in Brazil. It seems as if you can never be sure about anything. This can be amusing at times and maddening in others.

Take care and enjoy the good things about Brazil.

I know that this is years later...but you only were in Brazil for those few days that you occupied their territory and that why they said you didn't need to extend  as you didn't come into country and use so called days

I'm about to go back for my 91st tô 180th days.

I got told verbally (from 3x different federal police) that I could come without any paper work (other than the normal Evisa for an Australian)

I'm still worried haha

Good afternoon,
I just saw your post from early October, am wondering if you made it safely? Did you have an Extension of your visa prior to returning? Meaning, did you extend your visa at the 90 day deadline in order to stay longer?
Regards,
Lawrence

Hey Pete,
I just read your post from October 2017...was wondering how things worked for you and your wife...
Also, am curious if I am correct about your visa ...meaning, yes I understand you spent a day or two in Brazil while you visited Argentina, but those days you spent in Brazil should have just been deducted from your 90 days you are allowed in the country...so am thinking that if you spent two days and then you arrived back in Rio, you had 88 days left and should not have had any problems? Is this what happened?
Regards,
Lawrence