Overstay fine

James advice please i will be leaving brazil for the uk in 4 weeks having overstayed for Around 40 days
  Whats the pro and cons for paying the fine when i leave or when i return to brazil.
    I am thinking that i may get lucky and leave without the overstay stamp if i say nothing
Also Can i ignore the 40 days overstay when calculating my days permitted to stay in brazil.
   Thanks james
Gary:)

Hi Gary

Greetings!

I believe it is better to pay the fine while leaving instead of waiting to pay it when you return.  The amount as stated earlier is about 8.28 reals a day.

One of my friends had left after an overstay and of about a good 50 or 55 days and he never received any overstay stamp, however if I remember correctly he was asked to pay the fine.

As far as the days calculation is concerned I believe the extra days are counted in your overall total however Mr. James will be the right man to answer this question

Good luck to you

Regards

Hi Gary,

If your flight departs during normal banking hours then it's always best to pay the overstay fine upon departure. First and foremost is if you pay before you leave your chance will be greater of NOT getting the overstay stamp in your passport. Second reason for paying is the obvious fact that it gets the fine out of the way. Paying on departure also guarantees that you're not going to be stuck at the airport for several hours waiting for the bank to open if your next incoming flight arrives in the evening or at night, because you can't pay cash.

If your departing flight is an evening or night flight outside of regular banking hours it would probably be much to your advantage to make a special trip to the airport once you have your ticket in hand, and pay the fine then. Make sure you take your ticket and passport. They'll generate a GRU (Guia de Recolhimento da União) which you should keep until your flight departs and turn over to the PF agent on departure.

Alternatively you could calculate your overstay (you'd really have to be careful to be dead-on accurate) and generate your own GRU at the Federal Police website, print off the GRU and pay it at a bank (they prefer Banco do Brasil) within 7 days of printing it. Then when you leave just present the GRU to the PF agent.
(Note: once paid a GRU is valid for 5 years)

You are correct, since they are subject to a fine overstay days are not counted in any future calculation of stay entitlement or date upon which you can enter Brazil provided of course that the fine is paid.

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team

Oh yes, and the date of arrival and date of departure MUST be counted as full days in any calculation of overstay. That is very important. So if you arrived just before midnight or depart even just a few minutes after midnight you must count that as a full day.

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team

Cheers james i will take your advice and pay when i leave , i will be at GRU airport sao paulo at 2 p m 22 feb its  a monday so the bank should be open then, should i go and make myself known to the pf at GRU  or does this happen when i pass through immigration? And will there computer know all my dates or will i be expected to know  because i have been back and forth 5 times in 3 years and have not got a clue about about my dates here. I only know i arrived here this time august 23 2015 but i was also here for 25 days in march 2015
Thanks j
Gary

James i should of told you that i did not go to pf and extend my 90 days
  Will this cause me any problems when i pay the fine?

Gary

Hi Gary,

The banks will certainly be open at GRU at 2pm. You should leave yourself an extra 30 minutes (above the normal early arrival) just to deal with the paying of the fine. Do your check-in and then go immediately to the DPF. You won't have any problems.

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team

Hi james
  Still a little unclear about what the pf will ask at GRU will the computer give them all the info they need about dates when calculating the fine, do u think it better to go with a Portuguese speaker?
Gary

gazz718 wrote:

Hi james
  Still a little unclear about what the pf will ask at GRU will the computer give them all the info they need about dates when calculating the fine, do u think it better to go with a Portuguese speaker?
Gary

Hi Gary,

Their computer will give all the dates. Don't forget also that you're required to return the Entry Card you received on arrival. You shouldn't have any problems even if you don't speak much Portuguese.

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team

hi james
back in uk now ....
    went to Policia federal at gru.. ha what a joke .... tried to be honest and explain that i had overstayed,the guy could not speak one word English , did not even open my passport .... now i still don't know when i can come back or wether i need to pay a fine.
   immigration said nothing either, i wanted him to check the computer to see if it showed when i can re- enter , maybe he didn't want the paperwork!
   just my experience
best wishes
gary

If they didn't put an overstay stamp in your passport or issue you a GRU (invoice) for the fine then you're probably home free.

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team