Rustic Spanish Properties

Be careful about booking time off work, flights and hotels etc when you're going to look at properties you've fallen in love with online.

We came to Mora d'Ebre on Saturday specifically to view a finca we had fallen for. Numerous emails to the English estate agent, who knew we were arriving and where we would be staying.  Due to the dramas with Catalonia we found our Internet had been shut down. But finally got hold of this so called real estate agent. He sent a lovely local guy to show us around the outside of the fenced off property, with a view to getting the keys at 4pm.
At lunchtime he rang us and said are we prepared to buy whilst we are here. I said no, as we have our house on the market in Scotland.
All things went South after that call.
We awaited our 4pm pick up to show us the property (inside and out) and our local guy was a no show.
My partner texted the agent at 5pm, with no response and again at 5.30 to which a text came back, that apparently we have wasted this agents time, that we have no cash to buy (how does he know what we have in the bank?) and an offer was put on the finca anyway by other people....
We were gobsmacked.
So after 4 days here, we've seen the fenced off outside of a property.
This is not at all good for people wishing to purchase O/S.
We had to shut our shop for five days, flights, meals, travel etc.... And we've wasted this guys time???
Not happy at all.

That sounds like "The Good Old days" when there were all sorts of rogues working the property market as the house prices went crazy. To be honest I thought that most of them were gone but it sounds as though you managed to find one.

It doesn't wok so well with the majority of the "English" estate agents but, amongst the Spaniards, the API symbol (Agente de la Propiedad Inmobiliaria) next to the door is a good bet. It is a real professional association and if something were to go wrong it means you have someone, other than the agent, to complain to.

Plenty of them still about, especially when it comes to showing rustic properties because most of them are illegal and  unsellable(or at least should be). Still there are enough people obviously walking into it with their eyes closed to keep them in business I guess.

That is too bad, I have been looking in the same area as well but fortunately we are in the Barcelona area so not such a commute.  We also were lucky to work with (2) agents who seemed to have a genuine interest in selling properties and not just making commissions!  We are still looking though as there can be a big difference between the virtual add and the real property - so even though it was a bad experience, you are doing the right thing!

Due to too many of these unfortunate happenings, *** Spain can be treacherous due to different expectations for customer service so we try to bridge that gap by understanding what "non-Spaniard" expectations are and how to reconcile that the actual practice of the industry here. ***  Good luck in your search!

Moderated by Christine 6 years ago
Reason : promoting freely your services is not allowed on the forum
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct