Close

German naturalization certificate - waiting period in your city?

Hello expats,

I am from England, now living in Munich. I want to apply for the german citizenship. But the waiting period is unthinkable, it takes approximately 2 years here, because the naturalization authority is overstretched. :(  Maybe I should move to another german city?
Thanks!

You can only apply for German citizenship after having lived in Germany (without needing government handouts) for 8 years - or 7 years if you have integrated well into the society. Shorter periods are only possible in cases of severe hardship on a case-by-case basis.
Foreigner Authorities are overwhelmed by the number of foreigners almost anywhere, but you could try a smaller city in the Eastern provinces. You probably have to move there to be eligible to apply there.

I have been living in Germany for 10 years. Now I want to become a "digital nomad" and to travel around the world. But if I leave Germany, I am no more in a position to apply for German citizenship (8 years must be continuous). And so I want to get the dual citizenship as soon as possible.
This is an interesting official document with a comparison of timelines: https://www.muenchen-transparent.de/dokumente/4055561
Munich is exceptionally slow, 18 months. It's so frustrating. But Nuremberg seems to be good! I will try to apply from there, 3 months or 18 months - it makes a difference.

München  8 Monate + 10 Monate
Berlin (Bezirk Mitte)10 Monate + 6 Monate
Darmstadt wenige Tage + 3 Monate
Dortmund  1 Woche + 15 Monate
Düsseldorf 4 Monate + unbekannt
Essen 2 - 3 Wochen + 6 Monate(für einfache Fälle)
Hannover wenige Tage + 3 Monate
Nürnberg wenige Tage + 3 Monate
Stuttgart wenige Tage + 9 Monate

Expatriate health insurance in Germany

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Germany

Moving to Germany

Find tips from professionals about moving to Germany

Travel insurance in Germany

Enjoy stress-free travel to Germany