Medical insurance for 50cc bike

Hi, I'm moving to Da Nang on Friday from the UK to work as an English teacher.

I'll be wanting to buy a motorbike, specifically a Honda Super Cub C50. I've previously had a Super Cub C90 in the UK which I loved, and so the 49cc C50 seems like a logical choice considering no license is required for <50cc bikes. I rode my C90 on a CBT (learner's license) which has now expired and so I have no UK motorcycle license.

I'm trying to arrange medical insurance but can only find motorcycle cover options that require a UK license even though this wouldn't be recognised in Vietnam and I'd be riding a <50cc bike.

Does anyone have any recommendations for providers that would insure me for medical cover in this case? Also am I correct in understanding third-party insurance can be purchased cheaply from a petrol station?

I'n not even sure you can still buy a new Honda C50 Cub.  Honda sells something called L'il Cub but it has small wheels and would be pretty uncomfortable for a westerner.   I have been told that you can get a full sized C50 if you order it from a dealership but I have never heard anyone confirm having done so themselves. 

There are places in HCMC that restore Cubs (just Google Honda Cub HCMC) but if you bought one from them you might want to ride it a bit before putting it on a bus or the train to Da Nang.  (Believe me you don't really want to drive it even if that sounds appealing now.)  Another thing is that some of what they sell is bored out but keeps the 50cc registration.  As appealing as those restorations may seem, avoid them.  This is because if they are only bored but not stroked, they may not last.

THIGV wrote:

I'n not even sure you can still buy a new Honda C50 Cub.  Honda sells something called L'il Cub but it has small wheels and would be pretty uncomfortable for a westerner.   I have been told that you can get a full sized C50 if you order it from a dealership but I have never heard anyone confirm having done so themselves. 

There are places in HCMC that restore Cubs but if you bought one from them you might want to ride it a bit before putting it on a bus or the train to Da Nang.  (Believe me you don't really want to drive it even if that sounds appealing now.)  Another thing is that some of what they sell is bored out but keeps the 50cc registration.  As appealing as those restorations may seem, avoid them.  This is because if they are only bored but not stroked, they will not last.

Thanks THIGV, my intention is to buy a second hand one - I found there are quite a lot listed on this website:

xe.chotot.com/quang-nam-da-nang/mua-ban-xe-may/honda--cub

And thankfully I feel fairly confident in finding a suitable one, having had the C90 for two years I feel like I have a fairly good grasp of how the bike works and what to look out for etc.

Also, good news, I have managed to find an insurer that will insure me on the 50cc. So I'll give myself a little time to get settled in to life in Da Nang and then search for a bike! Can't wait!

Hello! Who did you get insurance with for a 50cc? Thanks

Question - not trying to be silly - is the medical insurance for the bike, for the driver, or the poor sucker you are going to hit????

Side issue - if I buy a bike in Saigon, how do I get it to Da Lat without driving it all the way up there?

Jim-Minh wrote:

Side issue - if I buy a bike in Saigon, how do I get it to Da Lat without driving it all the way up there?

You can put it on the bus or on the train if you live on the coast.  They will remove the handlebars and possibly the front wheel and stow it sideways so you will need to be careful of oil and fuel levels when you receive it.  This was all covered in a topic a few years ago but I am not sure how you would search for it.  If your bike has sufficient power, you could ride it to Da Lat.  I had an acquaintance who made the trip on an Air Blade while his family took the bus up.   I certainly wouldn't recommend it with a 50cc Cub though and I wouldn't want to do it with a passenger.  You will need all the power you have available.

THIGV wrote:

If your bike has sufficient power, you could ride it to Da Lat.  I had an acquaintance who made the trip on an Air Blade while his family took the bus up.   I certainly wouldn't recommend it with a 50cc Cub though and I wouldn't want to do it with a passenger.  You will need all the power you have available.

In our first year of college ('70 - '71), my 5 best friends and I did that every couple months on our motorbikes (two on a bike).  Some of the parents lived in Da Lat so our accommodation was free.  We brought food and drink from home for the ride, films for cameras, and just about enough money for fuel.

God must have watched out for children and fools because nothing ever happened to us in those dozen trips -- not engine failure, not a flat tire, and we didn't even hit a squirrel.

mandatory insurance, the one poice checks about, you can buy in virtually any bike (repair) shop as well on most petrol stations. Other places alomg some brodges and other dodgy places.
My last one, die for renewal in about 2 monts was some 65k vnd on  bike store
You need to present bike papers
50 or below are the same as electrical, so I am not even sure, If you really need any insurance.

Legally it says, no driving licence required. but in fact, anything else looks like, as when it's a bike

I found a link via Google that describes motorbike transport by train. It seems to be a relatively painless process.
http://vietnamcoracle.com/motorbike-on- … #motorbike
Thanks, all.

Ciambella wrote:

In our first year of college ('70 - '71), my 5 best friends and I did that every couple months on our motorbikes (two on a bike).

Two on a bike worked then because you are forgetting that all of you scaled in under 40 kg at the time.   :cool::heart::cheers:   They say youth is wasted on the young but it sounds like you spent yours well.

Buying the bike/shipping ain't the problem. Even new once, made in China

The OP she's to be worries about the xclusoo of medical coverage, when using a bike..

Again; in Vietnam, under 50cc and electric bikes are treated same a push bikes with the kids xeption: you don't need a driving license.

That is a matter, the OP should clearly chech with his/her insurer. , Because the only difference here is: no driving licence required and nothing else in legal requirements specified or excluded.
Inshort: he is not medically covered, whilst riding or caused by self riding a bike. In Vietnam, it equals a push bike, as no lic is required, but in tjhe UK, it would require a driving lic.
So, I would assume, to cjecl clearly with the insurance provider, which definitions for a bike should apply.
I personally would even request the answer in writing and sealed, by an authorized reo, if it would be treated as less than a bike

l3ully wrote:

Buying the bike/shipping ain't the problem. Even new once, made in China

The OP she's to be worries about the xclusoo of medical coverage, when using a bike..

Again; in Vietnam, under 50cc and electric bikes are treated same a push bikes with the kids xeption: you don't need a driving license.

That is a matter, the OP should clearly chech with his/her insurer. , Because the only difference here is: no driving licence required and nothing else in legal requirements specified or excluded.
Inshort: he is not medically covered, whilst riding or caused by self riding a bike. In Vietnam, it equals a push bike, as no lic is required, but in tjhe UK, it would require a driving lic.
So, I would assume, to cjecl clearly with the insurance provider, which definitions for a bike should apply.
I personally would even request the answer in writing and sealed, by an authorized reo, if it would be treated as less than a bike

As for the OP: surviving a decent collison, however you are insured, is ending so, that you most likely have to worry about the consequences.
Officially around 8k of the peop[le die  per year on the road.
Another not numbered figured, they die, once they removed from the road, and that within a short time

Insurance : My motorbike blue card is in my wife's name so when I buy my accident insurance it is her name they put on the insurance certificate. This ok if I am driving and have a police check but am I covered in case of accident to third parties if I am driving (I have a VN driving licence and motorbike health insurance).

Evening all and Merry Xmas.
In Dong Hoi and looking for a second hand petrol motor bike.

A motorbike that runs on second hand petrol would be worth its weight in gold.

I got my answer from the BIDV Insurance in Vietnam.
Only the person named on the insurance certificate is covered for any insurance. The third party insurance is not included for wife or children.
BUT, if you buy your insurance directly in BIDV offices, the names of wife or family can be included on the certificat even if the blue owners certificate does not have thier name.
Bring VN driving licence.

went to get VNese driving licence. told i needed 4 photos tho they had a great Canon camera that took everyone else' photos....?!

Need not 1 but 2 copies of my latest passport with all visas and empty pages photoscopied and notarised ( i only had 1 , sillly me)

it doesnt cover motorbikes though two taxi drivers who have foreign relatives said police take a driving licnce as a driving licence, mtotrbike or car

go figger

of course everything notarised and copied as many times as possible. only costs 30k dong

Also, no shorts, short skirts etc when entering a govt building or u can be turfed out