Close

Medical insurance for 50cc bike

Hi, I'm moving to Da Nang on Friday from the UK to work as an English teacher.

I'll be wanting to buy a motorbike, specifically a Honda Super Cub C50. I've previously had a Super Cub C90 in the UK which I loved, and so the 49cc C50 seems like a logical choice considering no license is required for <50cc bikes. I rode my C90 on a CBT (learner's license) which has now expired and so I have no UK motorcycle license.

I'm trying to arrange medical insurance but can only find motorcycle cover options that require a UK license even though this wouldn't be recognised in Vietnam and I'd be riding a <50cc bike.

Does anyone have any recommendations for providers that would insure me for medical cover in this case? Also am I correct in understanding third-party insurance can be purchased cheaply from a petrol station?

I'n not even sure you can still buy a new Honda C50 Cub.  Honda sells something called L'il Cub but it has small wheels and would be pretty uncomfortable for a westerner.   I have been told that you can get a full sized C50 if you order it from a dealership but I have never heard anyone confirm having done so themselves. 

There are places in HCMC that restore Cubs (just Google Honda Cub HCMC) but if you bought one from them you might want to ride it a bit before putting it on a bus or the train to Da Nang.  (Believe me you don't really want to drive it even if that sounds appealing now.)  Another thing is that some of what they sell is bored out but keeps the 50cc registration.  As appealing as those restorations may seem, avoid them.  This is because if they are only bored but not stroked, they may not last.

THIGV :

I'n not even sure you can still buy a new Honda C50 Cub.  Honda sells something called L'il Cub but it has small wheels and would be pretty uncomfortable for a westerner.   I have been told that you can get a full sized C50 if you order it from a dealership but I have never heard anyone confirm having done so themselves. 

There are places in HCMC that restore Cubs but if you bought one from them you might want to ride it a bit before putting it on a bus or the train to Da Nang.  (Believe me you don't really want to drive it even if that sounds appealing now.)  Another thing is that some of what they sell is bored out but keeps the 50cc registration.  As appealing as those restorations may seem, avoid them.  This is because if they are only bored but not stroked, they will not last.

Thanks THIGV, my intention is to buy a second hand one - I found there are quite a lot listed on this website:

xe.chotot.com/quang-nam-da-nang/mua-ban-xe-may/honda--cub

And thankfully I feel fairly confident in finding a suitable one, having had the C90 for two years I feel like I have a fairly good grasp of how the bike works and what to look out for etc.

Also, good news, I have managed to find an insurer that will insure me on the 50cc. So I'll give myself a little time to get settled in to life in Da Nang and then search for a bike! Can't wait!

Expatriate health insurance in Vietnam

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Vietnam

Moving to Vietnam

Find tips from professionals about moving to Vietnam

Travel insurance in Vietnam

Enjoy stress-free travel to Vietnam