American citizen applying for a work permit in Vietnam

Hi all,

I came to Vietnam on a 1 year business visa and have been residing here for nearly 1 year now. The Vietnamese company I have been dealing with has asked me to join their company. Now I am looking into applying for a work permit, but need help from anyone who can help guide me based on their previous experience.

This company does not have much experience hiring foreign employees, so they are utilizing an outside service to help, but the information being provided by the outside service is unclear and inconsistent. So need the experts here to guide me. Below are some of the questions I have:

- Criminal background check: We were informed that since I have been residing here in Vietnam for over 6 months, I do not need to obtain a background check from USA. Instead, I can obtain a criminal background check from the local police station in which my landlord registered me in. Correct?

- University certificate: It's been a while since I have graduated and not sure where I placed my diploma. I have contacted my university and asked for a duplicate, but the processing time is too long. I have asked the service if we I can provide an official transcript of my courses, but they informed me that they can only accept a diploma. Correct?

- Health/Physical check: Checkup must be done only at government assigned locations?

- Visa: Apply for a DN visa?

I am trying to get all correct documents and apply before I leave Vietnam. This way all will be ready upon my return. Any advice is much appreciated. Cam on.

cm1204 wrote:

- Criminal background check: We were informed that since I have been residing here in Vietnam for over 6 months, I do not need to obtain a background check from USA. Instead, I can obtain a criminal background check from the local police station in which my landlord registered me in. Correct?

Yes, it's correct. You need a police clearance from the Vietnamese authorities.
You have to fill up a form (preferably in Vietnamese - ask the agency to help you with that) and get it stamped from your local police station.
Then take it to the Dept. of Justice on Pasteur street and apply for a PCC.
You have to submit your PP as well. It may take up to 25 days to get your PCC. 
You may download the Form from this site or just ask the agency to give you the right one.

- University certificate: It's been a while since I have graduated and not sure where I placed my diploma. I have contacted my university and asked for a duplicate, but the processing time is too long. I have asked the service if we I can provide an official transcript of my courses, but they informed me that they can only accept a diploma. Correct?

Correct.
They need a legalized and notarized copy of your degree/diploma. Usually transcripts are not accepted.

- Health/Physical check: Checkup must be done only at government assigned locations?

Yes. Here's a list of hospitals (in HCM) where you can do your health check.
medical-examination-to-apply-for-work-permit-in-ho-chi-minh
Family Medical also does WP health check.

If your WP is already issued at the time of your return to VN, you can apply for a Work Visa.
Else, come to VN on a employer-sponsored DN visa.
Later, once your WP is issued, you can change it to a Work Visa.

Not to really disagree with senwl, but here is a slightly different perspective.

cm1204 wrote:

This is hearsay, but the last I knew it was if you had been in Vietnam more than 6 months you will need both a VN and a US check.  Depending on your state, a US check can be online and easy or require fingerprints and be near impossible without a trip home.  It is really unfortunate but the Consulate does not assist in FBI checks.  If your trip out of Vietnam is to the US, you should definitely get a State police check when you are there.  Here is a link to a post that I made on another forum that lists each state's requirements.  It is a little old so check first.  http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic … highlight=

cm1204 wrote:

I was going to use my transcript but my lawyer said no but only because the translation cost is a lot higher.  A transcript must clearly show that a degree was granted.

cm1204 wrote:

I had a 5 year visa exemption so I never looked into a DN visa.  I am not necessarily advocating that route but have you considered that?  I am assuming that you have relatives who will sign for you.

Good luck.

@thigv appreciate the detailed info. I also heard I need to obtain a criminal background check from the US. Being from NY, I need to be there in person. But at the same time, I was informed I may only require a background check from Vietnam since I resided here more than 6 months. The differing info has been driving me nuts.

Regarding the 5 year visa, never heard of it. And no, I do not have any relatives here. Maybe the 5 year visa only applies for people with relatives in Vietnam?

cm1204 wrote:

Regarding the 5 year visa, never heard of it. And no, I do not have any relatives here. Maybe the 5 year visa only applies for people with relatives in Vietnam?

It is properly called the VEC or Visa Exemption Certificate and there if a sticky thread at the top of the main page.  Ironically, I may have made an assumption that you are a Vietnamese American because you are "Asian looking."   :thanks:

Haha. Asian looking is still grammatically incorrect. Thanks for your advice.