I also have some questions regarding the market

Hi All,

My name is Duke from Thailand, currently living in Bangkok. I'm looking for Vietnamese contacts and perhaps future partners in Ho Chi Min City.***

I also have some questions regarding the market: :/

1. How health conscious are Vietnamese people, especially the newer generations?
2. Are gyms and fitness centers easy to find in Ho Chi Min City?
3. This question is rather odd knowing Vietnamese food are full of vegetable and much healthier than some Thai food, but what is the ratio of people who are overweight living in Ho Chi Min (does not have to be just Vietnamese)?

Thank you in advance and looking forward to hearing some insights and perhaps new contacts.

Cheers :):):) ,

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Please don't promote your own business on the forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

I think you may be looking for particular stats (especially for 3) more than personal experiences/opinions. Here are my personal experiences.

I've seen young Vietnamese play football in AstroTurf type grounds and in parks. They also play this game where they form a circle and kick a shuttlecock like object from player to player.

Also seen Vietnamese younger and older gen. play badminton in parks. jogging, walking (particularly older gen.).

I was staying in D7 in HCM, and there was a gym with all modern facilities close to my apt. e.g. weights, threadmills, steamroom, yoga etc..They gave me tour of gym. I used this gym on day membership - no issues.

I've hardly seen any overweight Vietnamese. cannot recall. did see a somewhat overweight guy (early/mid 20's) yesterday dancing. I wouldn't say he was obese. overweight?, probably.

So you are thinking about moving to Vietnam to find a "future partner" and have questions about the "market" of available girls or guys? Sure I will tackle that since I'm an expert.

Health consciousness? The park near me in Bangkok is full of runners in early mornings and evenings. And a loud music thing at 6pm with hundreds of jumping/dancing girls. There are a lot less motorbikes in BKK (I almost never see women driving a motorbike but they use motorbike taxis). Vietnamese will use their motorbike to drive one block, and people seem to walk more in Bangkok. I can't remember anyone walking in Saigon except inside a mall.  I think the Thais win.

There are gyms in Saigon but I can't compare if more or less.

Vietnamese food has a lot more vegetables, and soups, and seafood.
Thai street food doesn't look good to me. Little hot dogs, fried things, waffles, etc. Saigon street food is actual meals. Vietnamese wins.
(Thai food courts are more like Vietnamese street food)

Vietnamese and Thais are all mostly slim, pretty much the same. I think Thais are a few centimeters taller. I wonder about the next generation of Vietnamese though - ever watch a group of school kids walk down the street? like half are overweight. Why do slim parents have chubby kids?

I'm still puzzled about the term "market". Did the OP use the word geographically, or did he mean market as a place to exchange personal enticement commercially?

Hi Duke,
If your concerned about the health and wieght issues facing young Vietnamese , it's probably a good time to get “into” their heads the benefits of a healthier lifestyle.

I've noticed the change in mainly the youth here in body shape & size over the years.   Instead of running around playing games & kicking a ball ( a lot still do)  there's an increasing number of kids sitting playing with phones , eating junk food & basically being more idle with their time.    Same in most countries these days, adults too.

It's funny, when I first got here 6 years ago , there was only 2 or 3 gyms in town.....now they're are 15 that I know of, probably more than that, they've built two 50metre lap pools, put exercise gear along the beach fronts, new sports gear shops have sprung up etc etc ...but people ar getting fatter.   

Mainly due to the fact that overall, only a small percentage of people use those facilities, but the majority have succumbed to more sedate activities consuming junk food while doodling on a phone.

If your a guy that wants to get into the gym Industry, keep this in mind.  87% of new 12mth paid up memberships drop out within 3 to 4 mths....and they hope that happens , and budget for it.    Because if every new member kept turning up,,they wouldn't have the space.

Gym owners really don't like regulars,,,,because your getting value for money.  They love those fat buggers on a fad diet, that will buy a 12 mth membership and throw the towel in after 3 mths.   And that's what happens.

So Duke....if you get here, open a burger shop on one corner, and a gym across the road.    Some of The burger eaters will want to work off those calories when they see the gym , and the Gym dudes will feel like they've “earn't” the right to have some junk food.   

Just install a revolving door between the two.