Questions about job seeker visa

Hi everyone,
I'm an American currently traveling in Europe and considering trying to get the job-seeker visa to teach English in Berlin. A few questions:

1) I've read the you need to provide bank statements for the application, so:
    -Is a statement for the last month OK or do they need to go back further than that, and how far?
   -For this visa, how much money do they want to see in my bank account? I have online work that I do to support myself (and am also a street musician which earns a lot but I know I can't tell the authorities this). I am making it just fine but have very little savings in my account. There is someone I could ask to borrow money from for the purpose of this visa, but if they need bank statements going back very far, I'm guessing this won't work...

2) I'm planning to arrive in Berlin at the beginning of October and my Schengan visa expires 3rd week in October. I already looked online and there are no appointments available for the time I'll be there, but I read that you can just show up without an appointment and wait for a long time and could possibly be seen that way. I am very willing to do this, for days or even weeks (I'm very patient!) But only if there is a really good possibility of getting seen before my visa runs out. Any thoughts, what are the chances?

Thanks so much for any advice you can offer me!

1. You need to show sufficient finances to cover your stay. This means minimum €4350 for the 6 months JSV. (In reality you will need more.)
Note: You are not allowed to work while on JSV (same as on a Schengen visa), also not online or as street musician. Thus you cannot use such income, as it would have to cease during your stay.
(You also need a German health insurance and booked accommodation to get a JSV.)

2. I have never heard of this and doubt a Schengen visa can be converted or a JSV applied for within Germany. Normally, you must apply for a JSV at the German embassy of your country before coming.

Thanks so much for your reply. I am not currently in my country (the US). I am in Lisbon. Would it work to apply for JSV at a German embassy in Lisbon?
Also, my online work is for an American company. It is location- independent work that has nothing to do with Germany. Is this still not allowed on the JSV?

Thanks again!

Carpediem123 wrote:

Thanks so much for your reply. I am not currently in my country (the US). I am in Lisbon. Would it work to apply for JSV at a German embassy in Lisbon?

Ask them. It might work!

Carpediem123 wrote:

Also, my online work is for an American company. It is location- independent work that has nothing to do with Germany. Is this still not allowed on the JSV?

You need a work permit to do any paid work in Germany (no matter for whom and how/where it's paid). And you also need to pay German taxes on the income thus generated.
This is true for almost all countries (certainly all of EU, including Portugal). That's why the often-hyped "Digital Nomad" is an illegal in the eyes of the authorities.
Or did you seriously expect to participate and benefit from a country's offerings without having to contribute to financing them?