Registering a birth in Portugal

Hello everyone,

Have you had to or are you going to register a birth in Portugal? What was the experience like?

Who is required to register the birth, and where? Can it be either the mother or father?

What documents are usually required in Portugal?

How long does the process to register a birth take? Are there any time limits in which the registration must be completed?

Did you register the birth with your home country and how did that process compare? Will your child be able to have dual nationality?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Hello,
Giving multi-nationality depends on how many years the parents stay in Portugal. If one of the parents have been here for more than 5 years, the baby could give the second nationality. Otherwise, you have to wait until 5 years of your residency and after 5  years, your child can apply for the nationality base on some documents like language proof etc.

Concerning the birth registration, it would be done in MAC hospital where my son was born there.  In the third floor, you can present the document, parents passport etc (after delivery, the nurses help you step by step, do not worry).

It would be appreciated if you let me know your experiences which would help to me.

Best regards,
Ali

Regarding your home country registration, it is better to keep in touch with your embassy in Lisbon, hopefully, they can solve this issue.
I have been here from Feb.2013 and my son has not received the second nationality.
Anyway, do you have any experiences in permanent residence card here? because in March 2018, I'll fill my 5 years residency and I can apply for the permanent card.

Hi how are you

I got you message before explain to you regarding the registering of birth in portugal. i want to ask you a question are from Goa, india?

I mean are you from Goa, India

How long it takes to register birth , is there any time limit.