Trip to Venice

Hi

I am planning to visit Venice in autumn. Can someone help help me plan a one-day stay in the city?

Any help is appreciated.

Hi Elina, I'm from Venice.
In one day you don't see anything.  Walking round Venice for those who don't know the city is time consuming and there are too many things worth seeing, depending on your interests.

I don't know how you'll arrive in the town. I guess you'll begin your trip in the morning from the rail station or Piazzale Roma.

In this case take the "Vaporetto" /water bus n. 2, direction: RIALTO.
BEWARE of taking the route through the CANAL GRANDE. The Canal Grande is worth seeing so don't be mistaken taking the route going to the Giudecca.

If it's still morning get off the water bus at RIALTO.
Once there cross the Rialto bridge by foot and ask where the market is.
Visit the market than have a breakfast at a cicchetteria nearby of your choice (plenty of them there, where you can sit or stand).

Important rule of thumb: NEVER, NEVER enter a bar/restaurant having a waiter on the door inviting you in. These are usually tourists traps. Choose a place with a lot of people in it and take your time to see if there are locals in it. It's a good thing to have a working mobile phone and use tripadvisor.

After your breakfast/lunch go visit San Marco Square. Go there by foot.
In september there are a lot of people and it will be very difficult to visit Palazzo Ducale or the Church. If you go there in october it will be easy.

Time to leave San Marco.  Don't take the water bus. Go back by foot. Use a map and ask people. Don't cross the Rialto bridge but go trhough the Cannaregio block, via Strada Nuova (search the names in google map).  In this way you'll visit the jewish Ghetto.
You'll get easily lost in the process, and that's good. Look at the architecture around you.

Once you have visited the Ghetto your one-day visit is ended. Go back to the train station or Piazzale Roma always by foot. Anyway, in one day you have seen nothing of Venice. It's a pity.

bye