Close

Should I wait a little bit or should I just go on and apply job ?

Hi all,
My name is Thanakorn (you can call me Scott). I am currently living and working in Bangkok, Thailand and I would very much like to move to Amsterdam.

Normally, when Thai people move to Amsterdam, they always end up working in the restaurants or hospitality-related jobs which I have absolutely no experience in any of those things. However, I have been working as a web developer for an international company for over 2 years with certain amount of skills :
- HTML/CSS/Javascript
- PHP/SQL/Frameworks like Laravel
- Wordpress/CMS development.
- Angular js and a bit of react js
- Ruby on rails

My additional skills which are what I have always learned when I work on every project :
- UX/UI design
- Web animation
- Web story-telling

I have read a lot of posts in this forum that if I cannot speak Dutch (which I have just started to learn now), it will be difficult to get a job there. Especially with only 2 years experience.

I wonder if any of you could give any suggestions on this? Should I wait a little bit or should I just go on and apply job.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Thanakorn

Hi Thanakorn,

Welcome to the forum  :)

Till members provide you some infos, please drop a "loooking for" advert in the Jobs in Amsterdam section of the website.

All the best,
Bhavna

Hi Scott and welcome to the Forum. :)

Further to Bhavna's earlier post; at the top of the page is our Handy Tools link, if you select that, you can select our Expat Guides which contain useful information for planning your journey.  The first thing you need to appreciate is that there is no quick/easy way for non-EU citizens to enter Holland and work; there is an administrative process to go through which I'll explain below.

For people with your skill-set, you need to have some formal qualifications to back your claims up (the Dutch are big on qualifications).  Assuming you have them and you are a non-EU citizen, then you need to go through the MVV process; this link will take you straight to the Dutch Government Immigration (IND) web-site which will explain the process you will need to go through.  There is another way through this (known as "Skilled Worker") where your future employer helps you through, although you will need to go through some hoops to qualify; this link will take you to the relevant part of the IND website that explains that process.

In the meantime, if Holland is absolutely your chosen future, then you need to start learning Dutch, you will need it to pass the integration exams.

Once you've read our guides and consulted the IND website if you have any further specific questions, please come back to us.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Some really great advice there. I can't recommend anything else. I wouldn't risk moving until I have a firm job offer and a place to stay, it's extremely hard to find something on arrival.

Thank you all for great advises. I will be looking into deep-down stuff in order to understand better about how it works there. If I have anything worth sharing, I'll definitely update it to you guys.

Expatriate health insurance in Amsterdam

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Amsterdam

Moving to Amsterdam

Find tips from professionals about moving to Amsterdam

Travel insurance in Amsterdam

Enjoy stress-free travel to Amsterdam

Flights to Amsterdam

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Amsterdam

2 million members!

Watch later