Moving to belize

Hi everyone I live in new york been to belize a few years ago loved it and now considering moving there but I have been reading so much about the crime there I am concerned can someone tell me if it's gotten that bad ?

Peglove wrote:

Hi everyone I live in new york been to belize a few years ago loved it and now considering moving there but I have been reading so much about the crime there I am concerned can someone tell me if it's gotten that bad ?

Humm crime in NYC, (Population  8.538 million) vs crime in the entire country of Belize (Population 377,000).

I am sure if I live in a district of Belize other than the District of Corozal or the District of Belize my chances of being a victim of violent crime are reduced to almost zero. My personal experience where I have my 2nd home in Placencia, Stann Creek District is hearing about the occasional theft/crime of opportunity when a tourist left valuables lying around.

BTW the Country of Belize has six districts, a district is roughly comparable to a state in the USA.

We are moving to ambergris caye.  Where  does that for in compared  to the mainland?

You're right can't disagree with that.

If I lived in NY, I would be more concerned about crime than Belize.  I'm going down in Oct. and moving there in Feb.  You are as safe as you keep yourself safe.  Don't flash jewelry, cash or talk about your wealth.  Pretty much the same as in the USA. Having lived in seven states plus HI, the only time something was stolen was in Miami, FL and that was a truck to sell it for parts.  There is a lot of thief in Oahu.

You guys are so right I guess when you don't experience it you just hear it on the news it like a false sense of safety,but the truth is crime is everywhere,thanks for responding,I have to laugh at myself when you put it that way,thanks again.

There have been multiple discussions on this forum about this issue, but overall, I think the vast majority of us on this forum feel safe in Belize. Statistics are not really helpful. Of course, I would reiterate general common sense measures when in Belize, like not flashing money, jewelry, etc.
In general, stay out of bars late at night, stay out of Belize City, be very careful who you befriend.

I agree Karenjoe. I have lived in Mexico for the past 8 years and plan on moving to Belize in the near future. I feel very safe where I am, and everything you said applies no matter where you live. Stay out of clubs late night, don't be drunk in public, avoid certain parts of town, use common sense, play by the rules and you should be fine.

I moved to Ambergris Caye last year and opened an ice cream shop and my ONLY regret is that I did not do it sooner.

There is crime every where, but I have not had any problems since I moved here.

Good Luck,

Mike

What is the name of your ice cream shop?

Paradice Cream

You can look it up on TripAdvisor and read my reviews if you would like.

If you have any other questions, let me know.

Mike

We will be back down in 3 weeks but have no plans on going to the island, but we will be back in early December again and we will definitely stop by for a scoop or two.

I am so happy for you.  My husband and I have been  to A.C. several times and we are moving there on a few months. Lots to wrap up here on the state's first.  I hear so much negative. Your post was very refreshing.  Thanks!

margewest wrote:

I am so happy for you.  My husband and I have been  to A.C. several times and we are moving there on a few months. Lots to wrap up here on the state's first.  I hear so much negative. Your post was very refreshing.  Thanks!

Hello,

I completely understand what you mean about all of the negative.  I was in your same position about this time last year and I read all the information that I could find, then found out a lot of it is not true.  You have some people that have nothing better to do, so they read all the forums and websites about things, then they are an "EXPERT" and they get on forums and tell people how things are even though they have never done it!

I drove to Belize from the US!
I have cleared Belize Customs at the border three times.
I bring in shipments from Florida usually once a month.

Just because I have done these things, I do not think I am great or special or I have accomplished something no one else has.  I say this to let you know if I tell you something, I am telling you what has happened to me, not what I heard happened to someone.

I wish you all the best!!

Mike

We will have to look you up when we move!

Mike,

My wife and I live in Colorado right now and are considering moving to Ambergris Caye.  We have visited many parts of Belize before and think San Pedro is an area that we like.  I have been reading all I can but still have some questions.  Planning another trip in a few months to check stuff out and meet some expats.  I haven't been to your ice cream place but have been by it.

Did you get your car to Ambergris Caye and how did you do it?

I assume if you have a an ice cream parlor you have a work permit and are not classified a retired person.  Would it be possible to explain that situation?

Was also wondering the route you took through Mexico to get to Belize.

Thanks for any help
Scott

Hello.....i have lived in Belize 27 years been through mexico 12 times from Canada, i would not advise travelling through mexico at all  during Christmas or new years most police , check points and the rest will harass you more for money if you do not speak or understand Spanish they intimidate you until you give in  with threats etc i understand and speak enough Spanish that i wont travel this time of year , some people have no trouble , you have been warned.... remember you must buy a temporary importation permit at the u.s- Mexican border, i think now you have to put down a deposit, as some travelers told me here,....to get a car or golf cart in San Pedro you have to apply for a permit, most times wait, i think it was $200 u.s dollars, but that could be wrong i lived there for 2 years but rode a bicycle  , its faster , now there is over a thousand golf carts there , there is  rush hour all the time.