Proof of single status

I lived in brazil for 2 years.  It was there where i met my girlfriend.  We are now planning on getting married in brazil in order for her to obtain a spousal visa anf live in the U.S.  I will be returning on a tourist visa again in the next couple months with the intention of marrying her.  But i heard i will need a document proving that i an single and able to get married.  I have found several companies that will provide one but they all cost several hundred dollars and i would rather not have to spend that much as i will not be working while im in brazil and will need all available funds in order to stay as long as the marriage will need.  Is there any other way of obtaining this document.  If so how do i do it and how much will it cost.  Thanks in advance.

If you were married before a divorce decree will do. If you have never been married then a written statement saying that you have never been married before will take care of it.  you can go to the cartório and ask them what they require.

Jim

I heard it was something i needed to aquire here in the U.S.  i want to be 100% positive that i can aquire it there before i travel... if i can't aquire it in brazil it would complicate things horribly

And i have never been married.  Hopefully that makes things easier

I suggest that you to the local Brazilian embassy or consulate and GET IN WRITING as to what you need.

If James Woodward is available (has the time or desire), PLEASE send your comments ASAP.

Have a GREAT day.

Unfortunately James has passed away.

I think of James Woodward every single day of my life.   His friendship and wisdom is sorely missed!!!!!

Hi,

About marry brazil women need single status certificate. Important things (criminal record,single status and birth certificate) all original  legalize your home country embassy of Brazil or consulate in US.

Maybe you try here any advocate, spend lot of money and waste of time. so better get this documents in your home country and will back marry here.

I have another idea no need legalize any documents. just try to get baby(born in Brazil) here with your girlfriend. It means you and your girlfriend get baby here. after that you will see easily  will get permanent visa here.just you will spend money fedral police 1500R$ only not much.

Best of luck.