Retiring in Bolivia

Hello everyone,

Why did you choose to retire in Bolivia? What are the advantages compared with your home country?

What were your main considerations when deciding to move? For example, taxes, ease of transferring your pension, etc..

Are there any specific formalities you had to go through as a retiree moving to Bolivia (for example, is there a particular retirement visa)?

What is Bolivia's healthcare like? Have you had any good or bad experiences dealing with healthcare professionals?

Do you have any tips for other retirees in Bolivia?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

I urge people to respond to this post and assist me.

I hope to retire and come to live in Bolivia on September 8th, I have yet to obtain a spouses visa as I can apply for  this visa 30 days in advance of my departure from the UK.

I am having trouble arranging for my State and Private pension to be transferred to Bolivia as I have been informed that I will be charged in the region of $60's for each transaction by my Bolivian bank, this is excessive.

Having previously been a resident of Bolivia I have fallen in love with the country. Both my Bolivian wife and I have found the Bolivian healthcare very good. I injured my foot and my wife required an operation. The cost of health insurance is reasonable.  People are so friendly and my limited income stretches far and I find that my quality of life is better in Bolivia than the UK. Life is less stressful and I have found people so friendly. Being married to a Bolivian lady I hope to obtain dual nationality in two years time, that is how much I love the country.

I pray to God that I will be granted my Spouses Visa in August so that I can be re-united with my wife and return to the country of my dreams.

I am planning to move / retire in Tarija at about the same time. as you.

I am a US citizen and my bank tells me that they will not charge me for wire transfers so my plan is to use the internet to transfer funds to that account as needed then wire transfer to a Bolivian bank.

I have not communicated with any financial institutions in Bolivia to gather what fees they may add on.

I know that currently the USD is in short supply there so I do not anticipate a bank adding any significant fee barrier. I may be too optimistic on this.

You may want to contact & query folks on the Facebook site 'Expats in Bolivia : Uncensored' and 'Bolivia Fixers'

You may friend or message me on FB also Rick Vargo.

Best of luck to your endeavors.

Hello Rickvargo,

They were planning to move September 8th 2017...

This is an old thread .

Regards

Bhavna

I hope the dream came true for them.

@Priscilla Hi, I have not moved to BO yet so I can't answer all of your questions.

I plan on retiring there for many reasons amongst them are cost of living, healthy lifestyle and moderate climate. I have found the people there to welcoming and accepting of others. The markets have plenty of variety of locally sourced unpackaged unprocessed foods.

When I visited there in 2019 I needed to visit an emergency room and the care there was prompt, effective and very affordable. The country also has many cultures and geographic regions to explore.

I would encourage anybody moving to or travelling to BO to learn Spanish as it is the predominant language.