Enough for a family of 3?

Hi All,

I'm about to start the negotiation for a new position in Singapore, and I would like your help to identify if my expectations (SG$7000 NET) would be enough to have a comfortable (not luxurious) lifestyle with my wife and 6 months old baby.

I know this question has been posted many times and many of you should be tired of it but please think about the time when you were researching the same information.

Some of you may think "well... what does comfortable means to you?" and here the details:

HDB flat (at least 2 rooms at an avg distance from CBD)
Public transportation
No clubbing/Drinking (maybe a few times)
Maid/babysitter
Be able to save a couple thousands

I used the following Cost of living calculator and it seems I would be able to do it

contactsingapore.sg/interactives/cost_of_living_calculator/

I would really appreciate if you can add some costs and answer the poll

Cheers!

Hi fercasa83! :)

Welcome to Expat.com! :) These are essential questions. I can suggest you to have a look at our Life in Singapore guide where you may find answers. Otherwise I hope other members will be able to help you soon.

Regards

You have received plenty of replies in the other forum you posted in first.
What is the meaning of copy/paste it here, especially if you didn't even remove mentioning the poll, which is not present in this forum?

does it ever crossed your mind that I posted the same question on different forums because I wanted a broader set of opinions? it also took several days to get the replies I got now and more than the 50% of them are useles like yours

Besides I'm not sure why you reply to this post without any significant information if you have seen my other posts and never replied to them

Hello fercasa83,

That's a very rude reply :/

He was equally rude to those who answered on the other forum when he didn't like the replies (like "This has been discussed many times before, use the search function on the top left of this page").
This really is the most-discussed topic on all expat forums in the world. Some people only post to hear what they want to hear and are unreasonable if the outcome is not what they expect.

Sorry Yud,  It's just that I come from other forums like beppi mentions and everyone there was flamming I guess it was just the inertia

Besides.. honestly I don't see the point on answering with something not useful, at least I wouldn't do that

beppi wrote:

He was equally rude to those who answered on the other forum when he didn't like the replies (like "This has been discussed many times before, use the search function on the top left of this page").
This really is the most-discussed topic on all expat forums in the world. Some people only post to hear what they want to hear and are unreasonable if the outcome is not what they expect.

Well beppi, below you can find the other two threads I created,  could you be so kind to show me on which of those I was "equally rude"? for instance, I don't recall seing any post saying "This has been discussed many times before, use the search function on the top left of this page"

forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic76914.html
expatsingapore.com/forum/index.php/topic,69488.0.html

you will need to define medium coz, for example rental can start from 1500$/mnth for an govt approved HDB to 5000$/mnth for a decent upmarket condo...(still being medium here).

rest is how you live off:
Internet + Cellphone + TV  can cost you 250$/mnt (min)
Travel - another 100-150$/mnth and if taxi then 350$/mnt and upwards
Bills will be upon usgae - say arnd 100$
Food and all is pretty ok - 500-1000$/mnth (if u eat out a lot) and depending on family size.
Partying is costly - a pint of beer is 12-15 $
cigarettes - 12$/pack

rest should be rounded off approx...

hope u get some useful stuff outta this...

thanks roni0!  very useful comment :)

so, I see you also have a family with a young baby,  how do you find life in Singapore for a young family?

Cheers!

actually quite good...

come to think of it...the landlord (chinese origin), my agent (local sgp) and all the guys involved in this deal are pretty much decent fellas.

! thing is that as long as you have the money (enuff of it), the right attitude and fair blueprint of what you want +/- 20% expectation value, you will have a breeze...

Hi Fercasa83,

My own experience is that you can have a decent lifestyle with your family here in Singapore. The place and people are good, vibrant expat population, choice of food and fantastic infrastructure. A lot depends on your existing lifestyle as well, however there is always a room to save from the monthly income. One thing is sure though, it is a wonderful place and very safe too, especially for families!!!

In my limited capacity, I am more than happy to lend you any help whilst in Singapore. Look forward to meeting you soon.

Cheers
Uday