DR vs USA

Who would win? ..... Just kidding.

I'm curious about what is the same or similar in the two countries:

Electric - will U.S.  appliances plug in there? Electric shavers, blenders, hair dryers, computers, etc.

Cell phones - Do U.S. cell phones work there?  Can you call the U.S. from there or is it an international call?

I'm aware Spanish is the home language, is there enough English spoken and English signage to at least get around and function at first?

If I'm retired and my income is from the U.S. (pension, social security) am I taxed on that income by DR?

Personal safety - are guns allowed to be brought in?  If so, is that common? 

I put several questions here because I expect the answers will be yes/no  or at least very short for each.

Thanks,

Mark

Electric - same as usa but way more expensive

Cell phone - will work but needs "unlocking" for.local chip.

Calls are international but not expensive at all from here. In some.phones same cost as local call.

In some areas lots of english spoken. Signage is in spanish!!!  Tourist areas some things in english but dont expect it or count on it!

Your pension income is not taxable here.

Gun - hell no! You cannot bring your gun in. With residencia i believe you can purchase one here after you get a license etc.

Thanks  Planner!
Don't freak about the gun question, I just want to know what the norms are there.
I hope others will chime in with some similar (quick) questions, take some of the mystery out of how a different country operates.

Let me add to MS PLANNER'S  ( :) )  post
Electricity same current but multiple outages on a regular basis and length of time it out somewhat depends on where you live.  Most folks here have some kind of  a backup like batteries and inverter or a generator (we share a generator with some neighbors)

Cell.  With a local contract or even just adding minutes calls to the US are billed as local.  Many however have a VIOP (like magic Jack) system.

Let me add NO to guns.  Once you have your residency for 2 years you can apply for a gun permit.  This is very very very expensive and takes lots of forms and interviews.  Then you have to purchase your gun from a government shop ( plan on paying about 3x what you would in the US).  Also ammo is very hard to get (again from the government shops in most cases) and very expensive.

As to son's education there are a couple or excellent international schools (best in the are is in Sosua) but again $$$$$

Hope this helps

Bob K

NO freak out in progress  LOL  no worries!

What about Whatsapp?

I have friends in DR who call me using WhatsApp.  They say it's free.  I know its free for me to text friends in Europe using the app but have never tried using it to call.

Does anyone know about this?

Yup, it's free.  I use whatsapp all of the time for local and international calling.  It uses your wifi or data plan so the actual calling is free.

Just another note about guns because it sounds so difficult to get a gun in the DR that you might think there are none.  Not true, every delinquent on every corner and side street has at least one in his pants and since most police are corrupt, there are a few additional guns walking around to make things even more dangerous.  Most security guards carry guns and they are everywhere and with an average IQ of about 70 I can't figure out why it's so difficult for a competent person to get a gun legally.  It's not all honey and sugar plums.  Having said that, It's just as dangerous as many other parts of the world...

I agree guns are prevalant and often in the wrong hands. No one sugar coating anything in this thread!

Your IQ comment is both ignorant and not necessary.