Barbados Info

Hi all! I have a second interview with a private school in Barbados, and have a lot of questions about expat living on the island. I would be moving there in August. So, if anyone can answer some questions for me it would be well appreciated.

Where would be the best area to live if I am working in St. John Perish? I am 31 female, and like to explore the outdoors, but I don't want to be completely removed from everything.

Would I be able to live in Christ Church, or would the commute be to lengthy?

Is the bus system reliable or should I buy a car? How much does even a simple used car cost to buy?

I know they are going to ask me in the interview about pay. What would be an acceptable amount to live comfortably on? It is just myself, and I do have some student loans I'm still paying off in the states. Does anyone know what teachers are paid about in the private sector?

Is it easy to meet people? I know that is relative, I am a really friendly person, just a little shy in new situations.

How do you like living in Barbados? What are the goods and bads?

I am currently living in Indonesia teaching, so I understand island life and that the pace of things can be quite slow. That's what I like. Thank you again for any information.

I guess not a lot of information out there. Hmm...

Welcome on board astreya444 !

please be patient, today is Sunday ;)

hey,

Im a student in Barbados but I see that you are looking for information. My sister is a teacher here on the island and I will gladly ask her these questions and post a reply for you!

Its a wonderful island!!

Thanks Annie!

Welcome.  If you are going to be working in St.John's parish you can live there.  The problem here is commuting to & from work.  I live and work in St. Michael.  If I get to work at 6:30 it takes me 5 minutes.  If I leave at 7:15 it takes 45 minutes.  Cars here are very expensive.  Your best bet is to come for a prelim visit, see where the school is in relation to the bus stop and plan it from there.  Look to see  where the supermarket, bank etc. are.  See the easiest routes for the beach or any other recreational activities you like.

It is somewhat expensive to live here.  Apartments can rent from 1000. - 5000 BDS a month depending on how big, and where the aprtment is.  Closer to the shore..... Gas is 2.96 BDS a litre
Alot of the food is imported and VAT is 17.50%.

I am an expat from the U.S.A. and love it here.  I golf and scuba dive most weekends.

Good luck and send me an email if I can be of more help.

Tim

Thanks for the information Tim. I got the job, and will be arriving in August a few weeks before work starts to find a place to live. Now I'm just trying to get all my work permit paperwork together while living in Indonesia. (Not very easy). Yay! Your a diver too. I'll keep in touch.

Stacy

Hi Stacy,

Congratulations on the job! Just thought I'd say hi, I moved here for work last October and will be here for the next few years. Have recently been through the apartment-hunting, car-purchasing stages, so feel free to email me if I can help! I'm planning on doing some diving while I'm here too...

Rachel

Hi Rachel,
   I'm sure I'll have questions the closer I get to moving. Where abouts are you in Barbados?

Thank you!
Stacy

Hey,

I'm in St James at the moment, near Holetown... but considering a move to the south coast!

Rachel

Thank you Kate. Can you drop me a line on [email protected] for further discussion. Thats my email address.

Astreya -

What school will you be working at?  My husband is coming for a PMV in a few weeks and finding schools is at the top of our list.  We haven't decided on Antigua or Barbados yet.  Just beginning our research.  Being a teacher, I would LOVE your insight.  Our boys will be in 1st, 5th, 11th and 12th grades by the time we move next year.  Thanks!!!!

Hi Astreya444, just wondering how your move went?  I too moved here in August.  Lots to adjust to but am loving the lifestyle.