Hello everyone i m Maurizio :)

Hello ppl :)

I m sorry if i m going to introduce myself copying and pasting what i have already posted in other forums(Belize, Panama, Philippines):

I m Maurizio, i m 30yo,  i come from Rome and i m living in Byron Bay, Australia, since 6 months already.
I m here with my girlfriend. She is a pilates teacher and a ballet dancer.
We have the chance to buy a little business here but we are considering the idea about moving to a different place.
First of all i miss my 2 cats! They are still in rome and looks really too hard to bring em here. Plus i truly totally love nature and before coming here i was expecting much more fauna from this place.
So, i started to think about moving to another country and i would love to find someone that could help me making a choice.
We dont like big cities, we like to be surrounded by nature but maintaining a decent standard.
Here we use to live a pretty simple life style. I have moneys coming from my propeties in Rome and atm we dont really need to work yet. We use to go out with my kayak, riding around with the push bikes, snorkeling and long walks. We use to do sport during the whole day and reached the night we have our dinner in front of a dvd and we go to sleep. We never go out for a dinner. We dont have cars or motor bikes.
I use to spend:
1200$ rent, 1500$ food, 160$ gym, 250$ pilates and ballet classes, 60$ internet.
Sometime we pay less for the rent so let s say we use to spend +\- 3k $ monthly for both.
We are thinking about buying a pilates studio here that will cost us 70k $..
Before buying a business that will lock us to this place, as i said, i m thinking about moving to another country..
I started to think about thai, philippines and central america too. Belize, costa rica, panama, honduras and then Seychelles and Fiji.

I m trying to realize if i can manage to live in a little paradise, surrounded by nature, trying to invest my moneys opening an italian restaurant and/or a Gym.
As i said i have moneys coming from Rome but to be safe and keep myself busy and help the community of the country i m going to move i like the idea about opening somehting needed.

I m here in an internet point in Byron Bay at the moment, my girlfriend is training pilates in a gym near here.
I m checking online about the chance to move to Seychelles checking cost of living, permanent visas etc.
It s about a week i m reading everything on Expat-blog.com.
I tried to check the Seychelles forum but there are only few topics. Just for curiosity i tried to check Mauritius forum and "BOOM!!". So many topics and replys there..
Why so many in Mauritius and so few in Seychelles?

Now i m wondering and i truly hope you can helpme..
There is a chance for a 31 years old man and his girlfriend(wife in few months) to move there and get a permanent visa? How?
I was thinking about Seychelles because looks like there is the possibility to get a business visa there.. I don t know anything about Mauritius..
As i said i have 50/100 k euros to invest..
Do you think it s possible to open something needed there?

Thanks a lot for your patience reading my msg and i wish you a wonderful day.

Maurizio

hello maurizio i would have suggested you to give a try and to come to mauritius you have the chance of opening a business here that should work.in seychelles i have been there personally business are very slow and not sure it wil be profitable.mauritius fauna near black river is very good,chamarel,mornes ,nature park etc.well don't give up your mauritian project.if you spent time reading blog you wil find all your answers of your questions.wish you good luck in project waiting for you here.cheers and regards

Thanks for the reply Mike..
Yes, i ll not give up, i ll come there and check what possibilities i have.

At the moment i m trying to realize which part of the mauritius could suite me. I would prefer to stay near good diving and snorkeling spots and have the chance to jon a gym.

I m reading everything about it and waiting for Mauritius Bureau to reply to my mail to realize how i could get a permanent visa there. Opening a businnes etc..

AlanMcJ wrote:

I m reading everything about it and waiting for Mauritius Bureau to reply to my mail to realize how i could get a permanent visa there. Opening a businnes etc..

This is a misnomer -there is no permanent visa
here is how a foreigner can stay and work in Mauritius:

Foreigners wishing to live and work in Mauritius
An Occupation Permit is a permit that allows an eligible non-citizen to reside and work
in Mauritius for a maximum of three years.

Applications for an ‘Occupation Permit' are channelled through the Board of Investment
(BOI) and are processed within 3 working days. The silent agreement principle applies if
no reply is received within the 3 days. 

Spouses and dependents of an ‘Occupation Permit' holder are eligible to apply for a
“Residence Permit”. They can also work in Mauritius if they satisfy the eligibility criteria
for obtaining an ‘Occupation Permit'.

An application for an occupational permit can be made under any of these three categories: Investor, Self-Employed or Professional.

Non-citizens holding an Occupation Permit may apply for Permanent Residence at the
expiry of their Occupation Permit. A Permanent Residence is given for a period of 10 years only. is misleading on the govt site since it's not being delivered

Note: The govt is NOT delivering this permit .Those who have already spent their first three yrs have been granted another 3 yrs upon reapplication for resident permit.

So if the mauritius gov will approve my businnes i ll have 3 years visa. After those 3 years if the businnes is still running i could extend it.. Right?

What External said is correct.  To expand on that and answer your latest question though, assuming your business is successful and meeting the minimum requirements under whichever visa you come in on (self-employed, investor or professional) then theoretically your permit will be renewed for up to another 3 years. You'd then have to continue to meet the requirements and reapply for an extension every 2-3 years until such time that the Mauritius government actually follows through on granting permanent residency to expats.

There is a chance that your extension does not get approval regardless of how well your business does and regardless of whether or not you meet and exceed the requirements.  There are a few expats that I know of that have sold or closed down their businesses in Mauritius because of that risk and moved elsewhere because they did not like the uncertainty.

That being said, Mauritius is actively advertising itself as being "business and investor" friendly for expats so it would not be good for the government to not renew permits.

Mauritius is a small island, but the North, South, East, West and Central parts of the island all have a very different feel, look and culture to them.  Even the weather and vegetation can be quite different depending on which part of the island you are.

I think your best bet, as some one else mentioned, would be to come visit Mauritius and get a feel for the culture / lifestyle as well as research the type of businesses you would like to potentially start in Mauritius and see if it would make sense.

From the description of what you are looking for in terms of lifestyle, I think you and your fiancée would be very happy in Mauritius.  Whether Mauritius is the right place only would really depend on whether or not your business venture(s) would work in Mauritius and be successful.

Dear Maurizio

Whilst taking reasonable care not to repeat what other “forumers” have already enlightened you with, I would say that the most advisable way prior to taking such a big step would be to come to Mauritius, and stay here for one month or so, and get the feel here.

The feel of the country, the people, the leisure available, and the security aspects, and the business climate too.

There are so many business opportunities in Mauritius, and the Government is endeavouring to continue attracting foreigners with proper business ideas to come and invest here. With a capital of 100 000€, there are so many possibilities.

As regard the Permanent Visa, I would say that it is too early to be bothered about this. Besides, as long as your business is going on smoothly, you do not have to worry. Anyway, with the inexorable global changes, things are bound to change in Mauritius too.

Cheers

Vayid

Hello Vayid and thanks for your suggestion.

Of course i ll come there and before deciding to invest i ll need time.

The problem is i m waiting to know if i could really invest there.
If not i ll have to think about another country and come to Mauritius as a turist only..

Here in Australia if you want to get a businnes visa you need to: http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/business … vestor.htm

So, i would like to kow if in Mauritius things are similar.

There is a minimun budget to invest?
Should i prove a background businnes man carrer?
Etc..

Maurizio

Dear Maurizio

You need, as an investor, to invest the equivalent of not less than US$ 1M, equivalent to some 750, 000€

The Government does not require that you have a background as businessman as long that you can invest the minimum figure required and feel confident that you will succeed.

Do you have a particular field where you intend to venture, other than Restaurant? There are quite some interesting areas of investment with attractive ROI.

Cheers

Vayid

Gym, ballet scool, pilates studio with machines.

Thanks for the reply ,anyway, 750,000 euros is too much for me..

I ll come as a turist in your wonderful island :)

Dear Maurizio

Please disregard the previous figure. Through a mistype, I indicated a wrong figure.

I am really disturbed with myself. The figure is US$ 100,000, which is equivalent to some 75, 000€

My sincere apologies for same

Vayid

Hi Maurizio,

Have a read through the Board of Investment's (BOI) website.  The BOI is a Mauritian government agency that works with people/companies looking to invest and work in Mauritius.

The website has pretty much all you need to know in regards to the different ways a foreigner can come to Mauritius to live and work as well as what the various requirements are for each option.  Here's a link to the page that explains the three work permits types:

http://www.investmauritius.com/Friendly3.aspx

Get in touch with them if you have any questions.  They are usually very helpful.  Good luck!

or somehow with a job that pays your residence permits, i think thats possible if you have a company here that employs you..

cheers wish you a happy investigation my friend,
islander.

Thanks for the help :)

I tried to contact investmauritius but i m not getting any reply since 2 weeks..

Anyone can help me answering these questions?

This is what i have found on the website:

Investor: The business activity should generate a turnover exceeding MRU 4 million annually with an initial investment of USD100,000 or its equivalent in freely convertible foreign currency. If there is more than one investor in the same company applying for an Occupation Permit, the turnover criteria should apply in respect of each applicant (i.e MRU 8 million for two applicants, MRU 12 million for three applicants, and so on)

Investing 100,000$ in buying a businnes or opening a new 1 will allow me to sponsor my italian chef friend and let him work in it?

-----------------------

I would like to open a pilates studio too if possible. As i said my fiance is a pilates teacher and a professional ballet dancer/teacher.She would like to work in it.. Can i refeer to:

Self-employed: Income from the business activity should exceed MRU 600,000 annually with an initial investment of USD 35,000 or its equivalent in freely convertible foreign currency.

Can she open a little pilates/yoga studio with an investment of a minimun of 35,000$ and work inside it?
To keep it going and renew her businnes visa she ll have to prove an annually income that exceed 10,000 euro?
She will need to prove it every 3 years? For how long it will last untill she ll be able to get a permanent visa?

thanks and have a nice day

Maurizio

I m starting to feel a bit frustrated.
No1 is replying me from Board of Investment in Mauritius.
There is a chat here http://www.investmauritius.com/Chat
there is an ad that says:

Welcome to the Board of Investment'sOnline Chat Services. This space is reserved for the investor community to ask any question to our team of dedicated professionals on investing, working and living in Mauritius. The team is available fro 8.00 am to 6.00 pm (GMT +4) during week days.

But there is always only 1 user online.. ME!

Before moving there i want to be sure about how i could invest there.

I would like to know what infosa about the Self Emplyed option i asked in my last reply and other questions too.

Any of you know someone i could chat with?

M

Haha... I tried that chat and indeed nobody is ever there. I also tried sending them e-mails and nobody is responding