Getting a work permit.

I have been told it will take a couple of months for my work permit to come through once being submitted. However, I have found out that the company (a new international school) does still not have approval from the Ministry of Education. I have the following questions:

1) Am I allowed to come over and start working for them without a permit? If yes, what do I need? If no, when would be the earliest I can start working for them (what would I need)?

2) Once they get MoE approval. How long will it take to then have the school registered before they can apply for my permit?

3) Would they require other documents, one of the admin staff sent a list and one document said that they need a letter to say that they require expat staff, is this true and how long would it take to complete this part of the process?

4) Once all their paperwork is in order and complete, how long will it take for the work permit to go through?

I am wondering if I would have it before the end of August, or if I stay in my current job until the end of the year.

Thanks

1) Am I allowed to come over and start working for them without a permit? If yes, what do I need? If no, when would be the earliest I can start working for them (what would I need)?

Answer: No - but surely the school wont be operational until they get the MOE approval and then various other licences.

2) Once they get MoE approval. How long will it take to then have the school registered before they can apply for my permit?

Answer: I assume that the school is already enrolling pupils for the beginning of some term - if you can find out what is the opening date the school has planned - you will have the answer - I've heard of new schools commencing in say February (so first year is only 6 months)

3) Would they require other documents, one of the admin staff sent a list and one document said that they need a letter to say that they require expat staff, is this true and how long would it take to complete this part of the process?

Answer: The school has obviously advertised positions to have attracted your application. They will need to show the process has been carried out to immigration and that they did not find a local who could do the job that you would be recruited for. This should not take any time as its just producing already documented processes.

4) Once all their paperwork is in order and complete, how long will it take for the work permit to go through?

Answer: It's more about the start date of the work permit - see 2) above. They probably wont want to pay you for more than one month before the school opens, and probably only 2 weeks.

Thanks for your help.

The school is planning on starting in September. Apparently they still don't have MoE approval, but have emailed me saying that they hope to get it by the end of this week. I believe that Raya is coming up, so I'm wondering if they do get it y the end of this week, what is the likelihood that all their documents will be sorted and my permit done by mid August.

They are proposing I come over then, but it's not very far away. I've heard it can take up to 3 mths to process.

If they already have all your documents and their own organisational and financial reports prepared, then the Stage I clearance would normally take about 2-3 working weeks. If they are fumbling around then delays may occur. For some reason recruitment by schools can take longer. You have to be outside of Malaysia whilst the Stage I is processed and confirmation given. It was a rule brought in August 2016. But you can travel once they confirm you have been cleared. The Stage II is when you submit your passport to immigration for the work permit sticker to be put in. It's important they don't see an inward immigration stamp before Stage I is decided.

Hi,  sorry one more thing.  They have now told me that they can bring me over as a consultant under their company name.  Is this possible?
Thanks

MAC Donny cariaga ii

What difference does it make? They have to get you some immigration clearance anyway for you to be employed in Malaysia and paid by them. What they are suggesting is you enter as a tourist but work illegally. If you want to take that risk its up to you. You would anyway have to leave the country again while they process your Stage I through immigration, as that is the prevailing rule.

You can take a look at the immigration rules here: https://esd.imi.gov.my/portal/pdf/esdguidebook-v3.pdf

Thanks very much. That clears up a lot for me.

It would be quite acceptable for you to offer them consultancy services from your current location (subject to any rules there may be for declaring overseas income or setting up some sort of structure and tax identity, such as a sole proprietorship).