Foreign spouse to a Malaysian citizen wanting to work in Singapore

hi,

I have a corresponding link to a previous post that i am seeking answers to (https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 80#2059935)

im also interested to know that once i have registered my marriage with the immgration and what not and i get my ltsvp can i work in singapore living in jb?

If so what are the procedures.. like
1. do i need to obtain a visa to singapore? (my understanding is that the company hiring me will provide this)
2. do i need to obtain visa when im out looking for a job in singapore?
3. can i travel by train/coach to singapore everyday? and if so whats the procedure to get permission to enter singapore?
4. am i legally allowed under the ltsvp to work in singapore? (my understanding is its perfectly ok)

I await your kind response with impatience :)

The problem as I see it is that on an LTSVP you cannot leave the country for quite a few months or else you default on the terms and conditions, and the LTSVP is invalid.  Ask your fiancee to confirm this.

If you get a Singapore work permit, you still need a permit to reside in Malaysia.

One other thing is that as Singapore is a different country, so even if you have an LTSVP from Malaysia, if you want to go to Singapore to job hunt, you need to get a visa (if your nationality requires one to enter Singapore). 

The wording on the website regarding LTSVP now says:

Long Term Social Visit Pass

The Long Term Social Visit pass may be issued to a foreigner for a temporary stay in Malaysia for a period of NOT LESS THAN SIX MONTHS. Extensions of the period of stay can be given based on the eligibility and fulfilment of certain  conditions.

Gravitas wrote:

One other thing is that as Singapore is a different country, so even if you have an LTSVP from Malaysia, if you want to go to Singapore to job hunt, you need to get a visa (if your nationality requires one to enter Singapore). 

The wording on the website regarding LTSVP now says:

Long Term Social Visit Pass

The Long Term Social Visit pass may be issued to a foreigner for a temporary stay in Malaysia for a period of NOT LESS THAN SIX MONTHS. Extensions of the period of stay can be given based on the eligibility and fulfilment of certain  conditions.

so does that mean that i can have a LTSVP and still work in Singapore?

Not for first 6 months after registering for your LTSVP as you cant leave Malaysia without abandoning your LTSVP and having to start again. There are many cross-border workers living in Johor.  Have you ever visited the area to see if you would like to live there?  You would be advised to investigate immigration into Singapore as thoroughly as you have for Malaysia so see what they offer.

What I understand is that once you have received a one year extension for your LTSVPass you also apply for a multiple entry visa and that allows you to leave and return to Malaysia. That way you can travel to and from Singapore and enter Singapore on a work permit issued by a company based there.

This is a link to a description of all the types of permits (and quota system) to be able to work in Singapore:

http://www.pbcorporate.com.sg/employmentpass.php

Gravitas wrote:

This is a link to a description of all the types of permits (and quota system) to be able to work in Singapore:

http://www.pbcorporate.com.sg/employmentpass.php

thank you for that i understand the need for the work permits and its requirements in singapore however my concern is this is the ltsvp and the spise visa the same thing?

the country of my origin doesnt need a visa to go to singapore its on arrival so i was wondering if its a good idea to look for a job in singapore? so the employer settles the visa to work for me

If you get an employment pass from a Singapore employer you can live in Singapore, but it does not entitle you to live in Malaysia and work in Singapore.

Gravitas wrote:

If you get an employment pass from a Singapore employer you can live in Singapore, but it does not entitle you to live in Malaysia and work in Singapore.

Absolutely but it does allow me to stay in jb and work in Singapore rite?

JB is in Malaysia - so you will need a pass of some kind to live in Malaysia. Your options look like LTSVP or MM2H.

Gravitas wrote:

JB is in Malaysia - so you will need a pass of some kind to live in Malaysia. Your options look like LTSVP or MM2H.

Yeah I know that

So what is your question?  You need a pass to live in Malaysia and a pass to work in Singapore. Or am I missing something?

Gravitas wrote:

So what is your question?  You need a pass to live in Malaysia and a pass to work in Singapore. Or am I missing something?

Ops no sorry I think I read only half if the answer that should solve my case I've asked my fiancee to check with Putrajaya if that's possible just to reconfirm thanks alot mate

If you dont have a pass in Malaysia, you would need to be on a tourist visa and that isnt going to work.  What line of work do you want to get in Singapore? Did you take a look at the different employment passes and visa available to you? They are quite varied.

The biggest question is about what immigration in Malaysia will do if you already have a job in Singapore when you marry your fiancee?  Will they give you an exception to the LTSVP requirement to remain in Malaysia for 6 months? It is possible to make an appeal and get a case by case decision.

Gravitas wrote:

If you dont have a pass in Malaysia, you would need to be on a tourist visa and that isnt going to work.  What line of work do you want to get in Singapore? Did you take a look at the different employment passes and visa available to you? They are quite varied.

The biggest question is about what immigration in Malaysia will do if you already have a job in Singapore when you marry your fiancee?  Will they give you an exception to the LTSVP requirement to remain in Malaysia for 6 months? It is possible to make an appeal and get a case by case decision.

I've to get clearance of documents from Putrajaya kl then register in kk whilst I can't work in Malaysia for the first 6 months ago it should be fine to work in Singapore but need to check that first I'm a claim handler for the motor insurance sector so I'll be looking along those lines I've already found many vacancies similar in Singapore and I'm convinced that I should fit their bill I intend to find work after I get my ltvsp

But the important question is whether KK immigration will allow you to LEAVE MALAYSIA for the first 6 months after applying for the LTSVP, to look for work or even work in Singapore.

Singapore uses English more than Malaysia, so it should be at least a bit easier.

If you check on the salay levels for your type of job you can see which visa will apply - the S visa might be an option and I believe it does not require a sponsor company.