Medical Care In Uruguay

Can anyone give information on medical care and costs in Uruguay? I'm looking at places to relocate to from the US, and decent medical care has to be considered. Is there insurance available to foreigners also that anyone is aware of? I've heard of plans where you pay something like $1,000 a year and it covers everything, but that might be just a urban myth. Thanks.

Hi duende123, :)

You may contact our partner in Expatriate health insurance in Uruguay for a free quote.

https://www.expat.com/en/insurance/sout … a/uruguay/

Hello duende

I am from the bay area as well, San Jose, Hollister area.

I have been living in Montevideo for a year now, and I am pert of SMI, which is a private health care.
guiadelmercosur.com/detalle_12398_servicio-medico-integral.html
(unfortunatly there arent really any websites, that is one thing you will learn here in uruguay, no one uses websites for advertising or companies, everything is word of mouth, or the yellow pages, so i spend lots of my time calling and going to places)

For me the 2 things that make Uruguay more first world than the US, is the health care system and education, both free, and excellent! Wish i would have moved here for taking out all my private post graduate loans!

Well, anymore questions please feel free to ask!

Suerte, y saludos

Jennifer

My wife and I are over 60 and looking for medical coverage should be decide to retire in Uruguay.

Does anyone have any information for over 60 folks getting medical coverage?

Good Morning:

I am thinking of moving to Uruguay. I am a Diabetic so health costs are important to me. I am very healthy and take good care of myself. I need to call a english speaking Pharmacy in Uruguay to get the costs of my prescription with no health insurance. Can someone help. Thank you.

Cess1970

I am currently living in Uruguay, and without the ease of medical care in this country, I probably would not be living at all. Here is a detailed article I wrote on this topic.

Healthcare in Uruguay

viewontravel.com/blogs/chica-americana/Health-Care-in-Uruguay.html