Retirement Visa

Bom dia / good morning all.

I have been working in Brasil for the last 20 odd years and have now seen sense and retired. 
My intention is to retire here in Brasil and also to marry a Brasilian at some point this year.

Now, at this point I will freely admit that I have taken my eye off the ball somewhat and am rapidly approaching the end of my 180 days within the year permit to stay.  This has never been a problem before as I have always had a work visa. 
Getting the various documents for marriage is proving "interesting" and seems to depend on which Cartorio you speak to.
For permanencia as I understand the situation, I need to get various documents in the UK, apostilised and certified at the Brasilian consulate in London.

What I am trying to find out is, should the visa request be approved by the Brasilian consulate in London, is the next step to arrive in Brasil and register with the PF.  Does this then immediately  give a permanent status, as I will have very few 'legal' days left of my 180, should I have to wait for some further approval, and I would then have to leave Brasil and could not then re-enter until November.
I have no wish to stay illegally as this is highly likely to prejudice future applications etc.

Any helpful suggestions would be gratefully received, apart from the obvious of go and live somewhere else with less paperwork.....

Paul

Boa sorte.   I suggest you discuss with an "experience and qualified attorney".   This will probably not be cheap and the time it takes will be much more than what you would normally expect.)  As James Woodward has written many times, things in Brasil are very different from the rest of the world.   Follow the  Brazilian law whether you like it or agree with it.   Everything must be in writing.   Word of mouth does NOT count.  What one government official does may be completely different from another government official. Some Brazilian government officials are very, very helpful!!!!

Macae.

The only way you will get permanent status is by marriage to a Brazilian. And then submitting the required documents. Most people are able to do this without an attorney. You should try to extend your visa if possible at the PF. Then go to the cartorio to find out what is needed for marriage. After you are married collect the required documents for permanency. You can get that from the PF.gov.br. Website.

Jim

Jim, thanks for that.  I have done little else for the last few weeks.... it does seem to vary a fair bit depending on which Cartorio you visit.  Up to now, nobody has insisted on the apostilate from the Consulate in London, but going to get that anyway.  Pity there isn't a Brasilian "Gretna Green" somewhere  :-)