Moving to PR in less than 30 days

Hi
With less than 30 days to go I am extremely nervous as is, then taking the current situation going on there has my blood pressure rising.. HELP..... Any advice?????

Relax! We are moving permanently to the island tomorrow. So you are not alone. Don't let the political and economic issues of the island worry you too much. Unfortunately the island had always gone to some kind of issue or another. I am not saying this is not to be taken lightly but once you're there, you will see that the local people go on and survive.
Enjoy your new adventure!!

Btwy, we are going to be on Sabana Grande on the west part of the island.

Hi

That did make me feel a slight better.. Lol Thats what my mother in law keeps saying She is in Vieques. We are going to Fajardo.. Question? Are you moving with kids?

We also will be moving to the Island less than 30 days. Nervous about getting the cars registered, shipping the dogs, etc. Looks like we will be living in Dorado for now. We have a four daughter.

Well in that case congratulations are in order, any specific questions we can help you with?

Nerves are normal, having a good plan makes all the difference, plan for the worse be nicely surprise if you get the best.

leela007 wrote:

Hi

That did make me feel a slight better.. Lol Thats what my mother in law keeps saying She is in Vieques. We are going to Fajardo.. Question? Are you moving with kids?

No just me and the wife. Our kids are older and staying in Texas. We built our house last year and been going back and forth between the island and California for work. Now we get to work remotely so we are moving to the island.

Have a nice trip Adlin.

ReyP wrote:

Have a nice trip Adlin.

Thanks! Hope you come and visit us soon.

adlin20 wrote:
ReyP wrote:

Have a nice trip Adlin.

Thanks! Hope you come and visit us soon.

Working on it. Semi retiring at the end of June, Wife ankle in July, get the house ready to sell. May put it up in the market in November but that is not a good time to sell, may need to wait and put it in the market next March, then it is up to the buyers.

Good time to sell. Realstate market is low on properties right now. Not sure how the market is over your area but in California houses are selling 15-20% above asking price.

Things are ok here, but there is a shortage of houses, not as bad as in California but a shortage, would like anything above asking, LOL.
Get some sleep you have a long flight.

Unfortunately I have to do some work later tonight. You know how IT live is! We leave around 430AM, I will be eating lechón asao by 2PM tomorrow.  :cool:

Safe travels, adlin!

We are in the island!!! :cool:

Cool, have some Lechón with baked Batatas, and guineitos.

ReyP wrote:

Cool, have some Lechón with baked Batatas, and guineitos.

First stop at the local restaurant for some criollo food!! Then to bed! Long day! :sleep

Don't forget some flan or queso con guayaba.

I moved last week, it has been an adventure for sure. My advice... remember you are not in the States. They do things differently here, no its not real efficient sometimes but its how it works. I have not encountered any problems with anyone, the attitudes towards Americans are the same as they have been for 3 years. If you have a Spanish speaking friend who can go with you for your drivers license or to get your car then I encourage you to do that. It makes it go much smoother though the staff has all been able to speak Spanish they are a lot more forthcoming in Spanish.

You will have to do a lot of things in person that you an do online at home, like water and electricity. The cable/internet guy will not do everything that they do at home (ie run Ethernet to another room) but ask him if he knows someone that will do it on the side.... he probably will come back for you on his own time.

If you are renting, watch your lease, you may be responsible for all maintenance. This is negotiable!

Don't isolate, make friends. Puerto Ricans and expats all tend to be pretty warm and friendly!.

What is the attitude at utility companies or stores towards people in the process of learning spanish?

nokkieny wrote:

What is the attitude at utility companies or stores towards people in the process of learning spanish?

That will depend on the agent you're talking to. Some will try to help you in "Spanglish", others may be fluent in English. You can also be in bad luck and encounter a grumpy agent who only (wants to) speak(s) Spanish. In that case you might be lucky to find a Puerto Rican in the waiting area who will help you translate. The same goes for stores.

Go there with an open mind, be friendly, learn how to say that you are learning Spanish  and apologize for not being fluent yet  (something like: Yo estoy aprendiendo Español, lo siento que todavía no soy fluente..) and you'll be just fine.
If you start talking in English and sort of demanding that you are being served in English you will hit a wall.

nokkieny wrote:

Like Gary said, it all depends on the luck of the draw. Some would welcome the opportunity to practice their English, while others will refuse to understand you even if they do. Once in a while you may run into one with Yankees go home attitude, but those are very few. However the vast majority will go out of their way to help you in anyway they can if you try using your limited Spanish. They may giggle too but help either way.
I call a spade a spade, no auger coating here.

Here is a reverse of that, a Puerto Rican at a us airport was talking to his mother in Spanish and this guy got violently upset. https://www.facebook.com/reinaldo.perez … 0131530890

I speak very limited Spanish but can understand it quite a bit. So far though, every single person I've encountered has been extremely friendly no matter how poquito their English (or my Spanish) is.  We usually laugh about who knows the least in each other's language, and carry on.  Even those who claim not to speak any English seem to understand way more than they think, I'm guessing because like me, many haven't had the opportunity to practice and realize just how much they actually do know.  They tell me 'no worry' when I'm unable to articulate my thoughts and have yet to encounter that rude one or one who doesnt want to be bothered.  They all ask me why don't I speak Spanish but I'm guessing because I appear to be Puerto Rican.   So far the people here have been a breath of fresh air compared to the interactions I'm used to  where I'm from on the east coast.  I do agree with above,  be humble, friendly and smile.  It goes a long way.

Most try to be helpful like you said MimiEv.
Did you watch the video?
I ran into a few of those in my time in the US but I just punched them instead.

I did.  I saw it a couple days ago.  That's the kind of mentality I could not wait to get away from in the states.  Sad!

ReyP wrote:

Most try to be helpful like you said MimiEv.
Did you watch the video?
I ran into a few of those in my time in the US but I just punched them instead.

Sad to say, I have had the same experience. I remember in the 80s been in the military and having that experience in some of the bars inthe east coast. Heck! I even so the bigotry in Texas in the past few years.

I never seen anything like that in PR but I have seen on very and I mean very rare occasion somebody ignoring an English speaker. But it is very rare, most people are helpful and love to make friends.

If you are cute, they will bend over backwards for you.

Hey

Thank You for the advice.. I think at this point im more concerned about the going ons over there.
Want to make sure my adult children find work fast...LOL
If you dont mind me asking part of PR are you in?

ReyP wrote:

If you are cute, they will bend over backwards for you.

I'm an ugly mutt so I am screw!!!  :lol:

leela007 wrote:

Hey

Thank You for the advice.. I think at this point im more concerned about the going ons over there.
Want to make sure my adult children find work fast...LOL
If you dont mind me asking part of PR are you in?

I am sorry to say that the unemployment in PR is around 15%. It varies from town to town with some around 6.8 to some in the 24% range. Spanish fluency is required for the vast majority of the jobs.
So between high unemployment and most jobs requiring fluent Spanish the chances on them getting a job are rather low.

Rey

oh great.. Lol  What do you know about the Fajardo area?

Fajardo is sitting at around 11% unemployment. There is a lot of activity in the big hotels, restaurants and marinas. However your kids will have to deal with locals and with tourists, they will need Spanish more than likely for a job. Office type work where you do not deal with customers may work but it may also be a problem when the boss wants them to go somewhere and talk to somebody and can not send them.

My town is next door in Ceiba. I am still in Massachusetts.

Your kids can not wait for a job forever, but there are some good news in the future.

I posted before that there is a consortium of Chinese investors planning on investing about 200 million in some sort of amusement type park around the concept of all the major regions of china. They have not said where they are going to build it yet but they said they want an airport close by, in the east you have the San Juan airport and the Ceiba airport next to Fajardo.

Ceiba has the old Roosevelt Road Navy Base that was closed. The government has been pitching it to many investors, including Disney with not much luck so far. There is plenty of land there and access to the sea and a big port that can receive Cruise Ships. Not sure if SeaWorld would consider it but who knows. The place is Huge and very pretty where it is not developed.

That would be awsome.

El Conquistador hotel in Fajardo may be hiring english speakers.  We met a valet who told us he had transferred from the states and did not speak Spanish before he arrived here.  So there's that.

MimiEv wrote:

El Conquistador hotel in Fajardo may be hiring english speakers.  We met a valet who told us he had transferred from the states and did not speak Spanish before he arrived here.  So there's that.

Yes that is the place I was thinking about. I hope it works out, it will be great if leela007 kids can find a nice position.

Thank you Reyp and Mimiev :) .. Thats where i was thinking too or the W in Vieques..
Two weeks away and im beyond stressed..  I have done crazy this im not sure what its considered...

Another idea might be getting a federal job in the US and transfer to PR. I'm thinking f.i. TSA but there's more. One way or another learning Spanish is a good plan. :)

I was talking to a TSA agent in san juan, he told me he came 10 years ago and never left. Then he took my bug spray  :mad:

That's his job (I guess..)