Who lives in SOUTHAMPTON, Sussex?

Hi there,

I'm looking towards moving from Reading to Southampton to launch my Business that'll cater towards busy residents living within The Solent City.   So interested to learn anything and everything about living in this area.    Was particularly wondering / wanting to know if there's any plans to Rejuvenate & Renovate the Waterfront area like they've successfully achieved in Portsmouth, Hampshire?   As that's proved a huge success!    Brighton is currently in the middle of their Rejuvenation project with both a pedestrian and bike beachfront Promenade.   Plus their Pier is a buzz with a variety of Fair activities; Food and Entertainment.
In it's current state - the Southampton waterfront it's not very attractive or inviting towards touristing visitors and locals to enjoy hanging out people and boat watching.  There's really only 1 decent waterfront restaurant - the Gatehouse Grill Steakhouse on the first floor at Kuti's Royal Pier and so they require more as it's popular views prove difficult to obtain a table without pre booking and it's also not so budget friendly.

Also hubby would be Commuting weekdays by Train into Reading or London.  How reasonable is the price of tickets and how reliable is this Service; as we recently see on TV a lot of Strikes amongst Rail workers?
Looking fwd to hearing from anyone in the know about what it's like living in SH and the areas future plans?

Thanks In Advance for any replies!

Super excited about this next move and hope the Southerners are Welcoming, Warm & Friendly towards Expat - Resident newbies and my new Businesses venture!   
I'd Welcome establishing local friendships B4 and after hubby and I arrive in 2018.

I managed to find this info online regarding Southampton's Central & Waterfront Regeneration Projects. 

How progressed us thin now given it's a few years later - 2017;  Or did plans get foiled / delayed or Stopped???

Just wondering what currently exists and what's still expected to come??

Most of all; what's your thoughts on how it now looks?   Beneficial or negative for Southampton locals & visitors?