Medicines covered by public health insurance

Hi, I'm an Asian student planning to come to Germany to study for a Master's degree.
Unfortunately, I had a transplanted kidney due to my chronic kidney disease and I also got hepatitis B. So, I have to take immunosuppressants (Myfortic, Prograf) and antiviral medication (Baraclude).
I would like to know whether or not these medications are covered by the public health insurance.
Thanks in advance.

Good question.

First of all one needs to understand the system here. Everyone is required to get health insurance but there is NOT just one big public system like the NHS in England. There are not only multiple private but multiple public options – not just one!

Here is a link (in German) that explains the health insurance situation for foreign students:
http://www.internationale-studierende.d … sicherung/

There are special conditions for students but one needs to find out the details, like that such insurance is usually limited to age 30. Some countries have an exchange provision so you will automatically be accepted for coverage if you are insured at home. But you need to find out this for your specific country. It is usually something done between countries in the EU.

The University where you intend to study should be able to give more information so you can find out who exactly will cover you and then you have to address such a specific question to the insurer.

If you cannot find out more specifics beforehand, I would suggest the following. Make sure you bring along as big a supply of medications as you can. Upon arrival you should find a doctor to see on a regular basis to oversee your condition. This doctor should be able to find out which medications are covered by your insurance and possibly prescribe alternatives if they are not. Most basic necessary medication are going to be covered but it is a question of the copay that you have to pay in addition. It might be higher for band named medications but sometimes there are cheaper alternatives.