The best services to use when moving to Costa Rica

Hello everyone,

What were the biggest hurdles you faced when moving to Costa Rica? Were there any services available that helped?

Which services helped you most upon your arrival in Costa Rica? Were there any that helped you adapt and integrate in your new home?

Are there any services that you wished were available when you moved to Costa Rica?

Did you find the price of the different services available reasonable? Were there any that were overpriced, to your mind?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

"Moving abroad isn't easy, but there are often a range of services available to smooth the process. What services would you recommend?"
Interesting question.  I've thought about it and honestly cannot think of one.  Not that I would recommend.

Many people considering a move to CR will retain the services of what are often referred to as “due diligence tours.”  I'm sure, and hope, that there must be some honest and good tour guides out there, but I haven't heard of any.  Most of the ones I have heard of from other people and have read about show the touristy side of CR and more often than not just happen to sell real estate on the side.  The worst part might be the fees these individuals charge.

"What services assisted you most when you were moving to Costa Rica?"
Just individuals who had been here a while and had experience and knew some of the ins and outs of how to adjust.

"Were there any particular services that you found helpful when you arrived in Costa Rica?"
Nope, any businesses that I spoke with seemed to be more interested in how much they could charge rather than actually wanting to help or sincerely caring.

"Are there any services missing that should be made available?"
Yep. In the past, a number of people on expat.com have asked the question of what they might do to earn an income.  The usual caveat - 🤓 - this is just my opinion, it would be nice to have a “due diligence tour” that was set up by a nice person, who does not sell real estate and does not see Costa Rica sole through rose coloured glasses.

Yes, show the positives side of CR, but also explain and show the downside.  Explain that most expats that move here return to their home country a short time later.  There must be a reason.  Discourage them from purchasing land or a home until they've experienced the culture for a year or two. 

When they give a tour of the local hospital, don't just show the spotless ER, but show them a room that they'd stay in if admitted.  You'd be surprised at the difference.

...just my two cents for the day.  😳

- Expat Dave

Well said, Expat Dave! :cool: