Buying a motorbike in VN

I was looking for a V twin motorcycle to buy in Vietnam and emailed a dealer about specific bikes. I asked about the procedure for a foreigner buying a motorcycle. HIs response was "you dont have to worry about the regester the motorbikes to your name is because you dont have to and vietnamse police man dont really care about foreigner rideding a motorbikes in vietnam. you do not need motorbikes driveving lession userly pepole buying a motorbikes from us or from anyone here they just pay money then keep the blue card untill you dont use it anymore then you can just sell back to someone like how you buy it"    Is there any truth to this? Any advice with this is appreciated. Also, I do not have a valid drivers license in the USA. How difficult will it be to get a Viet drivers license?

The bike will need to be in a locals name, you can get it in your name, more expensive and lots of running around.

Reorandy wrote:

I was looking for a V twin motorcycle to buy in Vietnam and emailed a dealer about specific bikes. I asked about the procedure for a foreigner buying a motorcycle. HIs response was "you dont have to worry about the regester the motorbikes to your name is because you dont have to and vietnamse police man dont really care about foreigner rideding a motorbikes in vietnam. you do not need motorbikes driveving lession userly pepole buying a motorbikes from us or from anyone here they just pay money then keep the blue card untill you dont use it anymore then you can just sell back to someone like how you buy it"    Is there any truth to this? Any advice with this is appreciated. Also, I do not have a valid drivers license in the USA. How difficult will it be to get a Viet drivers license?

yes it basicaly works that way and it is ok 99% of the time. The bike will still be registered to a local, but as you are holding the blue card it practially belongs to you. Still... as of the end of last year, I think, there is a new stupid law that says that it is not allowed to ride a bike that isn't registered on your name or on your family members. People are quite upset about this, I don't know if this law is effective yet.
If you want to be on the safe side and have a local friend, ask him to register that bike on his name. If it gets compliated with the police, you can call him to step forward and clear things up.

EDIT:
you can ask him about his experience riding with the blue card:
https://www.expat.com/en/classified/asi … c-230.html

Reorandy wrote:

I was looking for a V twin motorcycle to buy in Vietnam........ How difficult will it be to get a Viet drivers license?

Besides the potential ramifications of driving around a bike owned by someone else, no matter how common that might be, I think you will find it difficult to get your license to drive a bike over 150cc.  I was told once by a local that the bigger bike license required membership in a motorcycle club but I think that has since changed.  Another downside was that the police could appropriate large bikes in an emergency, real or cooked up.  Again this may not longer be true but it shows some of the police attitude toward larger bikes.

My Hawaii motorcycle endorsement was still changed to below 150 when I got my license in VN.  Driving a twin cylinder bike without a license will be doubly risky as police will stop you just to see if you have the proper license.  The larger bike makes you an easy mark for their "coffee funds."  Unless you are planning extensive road trips, stick to the bikes below 150 cc.