How to make friends in Puerto Rico

We have been talking about loneliness when you are abroad, let's now talk about how to make friends (locals and other expats) when you're living in Puerto Rico :top:

Which are your best tips to meet people and to make friends in Puerto Rico??

Thanks in advance for your participation

In Rincon, a way to make friends is by joining one of the local community groups Surfrider or ARF (Animal Rescue Foundation).  Both organizations have many state siders working toward helping the community.  Both organizations are non profit, and have continual projects and activities.
Just recently, ARF held a dinner to raise money, and over 120 persons attended.  Most from all over the states and all ages. I volunteer for both and help out with their web stuff.
Check out the ARF Blog.
Surfrider has regular beach clean ups.  Sometimes we walk the beach picking up trash.  Sometimes we snorkel in a line collecting underwater trash (we found a cannon in Nov). Check out the Surfrider blog.

Hi there!

I am very interested in volunteer work in Puerto Rico - would anyone know of any sites (other than Craigs List) where I could find volunteering positions? Predominantly, in the community development and/or tourism sector. My spanish is not good, and I would like some work which will help me ease into the lifestyle and language and meet people!

Try the Newcomers Club of Puerto Rico...

They are a wonderful group that caters to Expats, volunteer work and non profit events.  Many activities and functions to join and meet people.

Good Luck!  Also Meet up groups on line are another good resource.

There's a FB group called "mommy and daddy's playgroup" that you should join - I do not have little kids, but this group is a constant source of information!

Very old thread, last post before today was October 2009. Probably not looking for friends 8 years later.

There's different groups for all kinds of lifestyles. There's a group for those young millionaires, how to do a blog type of group, cultural tours, book lovers, Friday night fun and much more..... let us know how it went!

Go out, have fun, talk to people mingle and jingle, locals are mostly friendly, sometimes too friendly and open engage into conversation, in any case you just have one new friend here!.... :top:  :D

The best way to make friends anywhere is by always being friendly.

Visit "Expats in Puerto Rico" FB group and meet a lot of people and their friends.

Hi! I had a woman I met today mention this group as well but I cannot find it for the life of me. Can you post the link for me? Thanks in advance! - JC

julicampbell :

Hi! I had a woman I met today mention this group as well but I cannot find it for the life of me. Can you post the link for me? Thanks in advance! - JC

I run it for the most part: … ;ref=notif

Hi, Julicampbell, here is the link.

The link doesn't work, Schuttz.