Immigration

Hi all

My name is samantha. I am currently looking into moving to Costa Rica and finding employment

Any advice please?

Hola Samantha!

If you look through the recent post "Moving to Costa Rica from Toronto," you may find some of the answers to your question.  If you have more questions and/or concerns after that I'm sure we can help you further.

- Expat Dave

AND... welcome to expat.com!  😆

I will be moving to Costa Rica from the UK. Would this effect me in anyway

Thank you

Well, have you researched what you have to do to gain legal residency in Costa Rica and also go about getting the right to work in the country?  Should readers assume you have that covered and are now just asking about finding work?  If so, how can you expect anyone to 'advise' you without knowing what kind of work you are qualified for?

Yes I have looked into it and also been in contact with the embassy. However trying to find work is proving difficult.  My occupation is an Assistant Practitioner within my local hospital. I scrub and assist with many surgical procedures from general, breast, orthopaedics, urology, dermatology, gyaen, trauma ophthalmics etc.
My concern is that I am not a registered nurse but my qualifications are a national foundation degree within the uk. So I can't seem to find how this goes against me.  I am looking for work mainly in health care

Dogeared wrote:

Well, have you researched what you have to do to gain legal residency in Costa Rica and also go about getting the right to work in the country?  Should readers assume you have that covered and are now just asking about finding work?  If so, how can you expect anyone to 'advise' you without knowing what kind of work you are qualified for?

Dogeared,

I don't know if it's your writing style or if you are simply angry; but, you are coming across in an angry tone.  People come here for advice and help.  Please lighten your tone. 

- Expat Dave

samantha jane 85 wrote:

Yes I have looked into it and also been in contact with the embassy. However trying to find work is proving difficult.  My occupation is an Assistant Practitioner within my local hospital. I scrub and assist with many surgical procedures from general, breast, orthopaedics, urology, dermatology, gyaen, trauma ophthalmics etc.
My concern is that I am not a registered nurse but my qualifications are a national foundation degree within the uk. So I can't seem to find how this goes against me.  I am looking for work mainly in health care

Samantha,
If you go to the subject line:  "Understanding Residency and Employment in Costa Rica," you will see some of the answers to your questions regarding employment here.

- Expat Dave

You can only 'physically' work once you are a Permanent Resident...and since you are in a medical profession, you will be required to get re-certified in Spanish, as this is the language of the country.
Many well educated and certified nurses here...

Additional reading

Samantha
Unfortunately foreigners without legal status can not legally work in Costa Rica this may help you xxxx

Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Free advertising is not allowed on the forum. Please register your services in the business directory.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Samantha, I am sorry to inform you of this but facts are facts. You will not likely be able to come here and work in a hospital for all of the reasons listed above.

Of course there are always exceptions and (sometimes) "where there's a will there's a way". But it isn't going to be easy or likely for you to work here in the medical field.

I'd say, if you are set on living in CR, there are private hospitals and practices that will hire you. There's a risk for the employer and employee and you can't get full employment benefits, but"you need to break an egg to make an omelet". I did it for five years,, no problems, good "omelets".